cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anticipating VOIP changeover

jaberwok
On our wavelength

Like others, my primary phone (with answer machine) and my hub are some distance apart - two floors apart. I have a nice, new Hub 5 which is on the second floor with three computers attached by ethernet; the fourth hub connection provides IP-over-mains from the hub to the ground floor where a computer and a smart-tv are connected. Coincidently, I am looking to replace my four-handset DECT phone setup in the near future and it would be highly desirable to continue to have the phone base station on the ground floor.

Is this workable?.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey jaberwok,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
The main base unit of your phone setup would need to be plugged into the hub, it cannot be a sub unit that is plugged into the hub it has to be the main handset. 

The work around could be an extension could be plugged into the adaptor in the back of the hub and cable routed down to your main handset on the ground floor. 

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey jaberwok,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
The main base unit of your phone setup would need to be plugged into the hub, it cannot be a sub unit that is plugged into the hub it has to be the main handset. 

The work around could be an extension could be plugged into the adaptor in the back of the hub and cable routed down to your main handset on the ground floor. 

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Most modern cordless systems allow full control of the answering machine etc. from a remote handset so you should not need to be next to the base station to still use cordless phones. May need some features on the system activating such as missed call indicator, tones etc. Default cut/paste answer to the question is ...

Ask VM (via the VM forum team on here) to modify your home phone wiring so you can use your existing landline extension sockets via the phone connection from the VM hub.

VM should offer to do this free of charge for you as part of the switchover process.

Make sure they make modifications to your phone wiring so you can keep each piece of equipment in the same place (rather than the offer which sometimes crops up on here to move the hub to a different location)

Refer here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit? You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
• You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
• The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

Alternatively, a cordless phone system allows you to use phones around the home with no wiring modifications or disruption. Plug the cordless base station into the VM hub and use the cordless satellite phones around your home as required. If you already have a cordless system, you may be able to add in another cordless satellite phone to the existing setup as/if required. If you needed to buy a cordless phone system, to avoid any rewiring work, this would be at a cost to you.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Some DECT systems like mine just have the base station without any handset, you then just put handsets where you want. Ideal for the new VM setup.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

jaberwok
On our wavelength

Thank you.

"The main base unit of your phone setup would need to be plugged into the hub, it cannot be a sub unit that is plugged into the hub it has to be the main handset." That's what I feared.

"The work around could be an extension could be plugged into the adaptor in the back of the hub and cable routed down to your main handset on the ground floor." Would the IP-over-mains not be equivalent?

jaberwok
On our wavelength

Thanks, I don't have any internal phone wiring, just a master socket at ground floor level. I'm intending to do a straight replacement of one 4 handset DECT system with another, more modern one.

jaberwok
On our wavelength

Hi, that could be interesting but where does the answering machine unit go? My potential problem is that I want it on the ground floor, not two floors above.

Hi Jaberwok,

Thanks for your reply, sorry the digital switchover isn't as smooth as we would have liked for you. 

We can get an engineer called out to relocate your Hub/Landline equipment to a preferred room if that's what you'd like to do? 

Here's a link with loads more information about the Switchover if you want to have a read 👉 Landline Digital Switchover.

Please let us know what you would like to do moving forward 😊

Thanks,

Megan_L

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@jaberwok wrote:

Thanks, I don't have any internal phone wiring, just a master socket at ground floor level. I'm intending to do a straight replacement of one 4 handset DECT system with another, more modern one.

The VM phone-via-router connection is nothing to do with IP connections (at the customer's end, at least). The connection on the back of the hub is designed to emulate an ordinary telephone socket so a powerline-type connection cannot be used for the phone.

You don't need to be next to the base station to use the answering machine function on a modern cordless system.

The satellite handsets can usually be configured to show waiting messages and have full control of the answering machine function without being stood next to the base station.

jaberwok
On our wavelength

Sorry, ignore the second paragraph - I realise that it was a stupid suggestion.