Menu
Reply
Motherhen2
  • 3
  • 0
  • 0
Joining in
244 Views
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Anonymous Call Rejection not working

We keep getting silent computer generated calls even though we have Anonymous Call Rejection which we were told would stop these sort of calls. This has been happening for the past few days.

0 Kudos
Reply
goslow
  • 1.53K
  • 265
  • 512
Super solver
233 Views
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Anonymous Call Rejection not working

Are the calls actually 'anonymous'? When you get such a call, what is shown the caller ID display on your phone when the call comes in?

0 Kudos
Reply
Paulina_Z
  • 1.12K
  • 34
  • 71
Forum Team
Forum Team
230 Views
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Anonymous Call Rejection not working

Hi @Motherhen2,

 

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post, and I'm sorry to hear that you're having some issues with your Anonymous Caller Reject feature.

 

I was able to locate your account and I can see that there is an active area outage that is impacting your Broadband and Landline services. 

 

The outage is expected to be finished by 3pm today (16/06/21) and could be the reason that your feature does not work at the moment.

 

I would advise you wait until after 3pm for the outage to be finished, and then reboot your Hub as it is connected to your landline. After this, please check if your Anonymous Caller Reject feature is working again. If it's not, we'll be able to look into this further for you.

 

Thanks! 🙂

Paulina_Z
Forum Team



New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide


0 Kudos
Reply
Motherhen2
  • 3
  • 0
  • 0
Joining in
207 Views
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Anonymous Call Rejection not working

The numbers on the incoming calls sometimes look odd ie "0110 etc" so we usually know they are computer generated and just cut them off but sometimes they  look quite legitimate, ie "0208304 ...." but upon speaking to the tech people at Virgin, I was told these numbers were not appearing in their call log they hold for us and were in fact being generated by computer. The Virgin tech told me Anonymous Call Rejection would stop these type of calls. When we answer the phone there is no-one on the other end and the phone clicks and goes off. The fact that there is no-one there is very annoying.

0 Kudos
Reply
Laurie_C
  • 870
  • 27
  • 84
Forum Team
Forum Team
203 Views
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Anonymous Call Rejection not working

Hi @Motherhen2,

 

I can completely understand your frustration. As my colleague previously advised, there is a known issue in your area, and I'm afraid that the estimated resolution date has changed to the 18th of June at 12:45. Could you continue to monitor until this time has passed, and then let us know if these calls continue to happen?

 

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team
0 Kudos
Reply
goslow
  • 1.53K
  • 265
  • 512
Super solver
201 Views
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Anonymous Call Rejection not working


@Motherhen2 wrote:

The numbers on the incoming calls sometimes look odd ie "0110 etc" so we usually know they are computer generated and just cut them off but sometimes they  look quite legitimate, ie "0208304 ...." but upon speaking to the tech people at Virgin, I was told these numbers were not appearing in their call log they hold for us and were in fact being generated by computer. The Virgin tech told me Anonymous Call Rejection would stop these type of calls. When we answer the phone there is no-one on the other end and the phone clicks and goes off. The fact that there is no-one there is very annoying.


Unfortunately, you were misinformed about ACR. It only does one thing, which is to block numbers where the caller ID is specifically 'withheld' i.e. the caller has deliberately prevented their caller ID being presented.

With VM, you need to buy third party hardware to deal with these very annoying spam/scam calls. I use trueCall in conjunction with a cordless phone setup

https://www.truecall.co.uk/category-s/116.htm

BT phones which have 'trueCall technology built in' (will be mentioned in the BT product description) do something similar but are not quite as customisable IMO.

These devices screen the calls rather than block and prevent the automated scam numbers from ringing your home phone. Known callers on your 'approved' list ring straight through without being screened. I have used the trueCall device for 12+ months now and have had zero spam/scam calls.

I don't think this situation will change for you even when your area fault has cleared AIUI.

coenoby
  • 2.16K
  • 302
  • 1.32K
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
186 Views
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Anonymous Call Rejection not working


@Motherhen2

I used Anonymous Call Rejection (ACR) a few years ago and found it totally counter productive:

1) As you have found, and as @goslow has explained very well, it does not stop scam calls. These days most scammers spoof the number that appears in caller display and very few scam calls come through as "withheld" and end up geting blocked by ACR.

2) On the other hand it soon become apparent that a surprising number of my contacts routinely withheld their numbers and were extremely annoyed and took it very personally that I had "blocked" their calls. Their reason for withholding their number was basically "I'm ex directory so I am not gong to broadcast my number to everyone I phone"

3) I also found that a number of  organisations, such as GP surgeries and some NHS clinics always withhold their number "to protect your confidentiality". By that they mean it stops someone else in your household from discovering you have had a call from a medical facility.

For all those reasons I would suggest that you remove ACR. Unless you luckier than I was I think you'll find it's more trouble than it's worth.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
  • 1.53K
  • 265
  • 512
Super solver
175 Views
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Anonymous Call Rejection not working


@coenoby wrote:

@Motherhen2

I used Anonymous Call Rejection (ACR) a few years ago and found it totally counter productive:

<snip>

3) I also found that a number of  organisations, such as GP surgeries and some NHS clinics always withhold their number "to protect your confidentiality". By that they mean it stops someone else in your household from discovering you have had a call from a medical facility.

For all those reasons I would suggest that you remove ACR. Unless you luckier than I was I think you'll find it's more trouble than it's worth.

Coenoby


All good points, @Coenoby and in regard to the 'withheld' dilemma for healthcare providers, screening devices (such as the trueCall) do actually allow genuine 'withheld' callers to get through because a 'real' (non-scammer) person can successfully complete the simple screening process and get through to you as required.

0 Kudos
Reply
coenoby
  • 2.16K
  • 302
  • 1.32K
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
173 Views
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Anonymous Call Rejection not working


@goslow wrote:


@Motherhen2


screening devices (such as the trueCall) do actually allow genuine 'withheld' callers to get through because a 'real' (non-scammer) person can successfully complete the simple screening process and get through to you as required.


Absolutely. 👍

My point was that ACR is just too restrictive to be a useful aid in weeding out unwanted calls.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
  • 1.53K
  • 265
  • 512
Super solver
168 Views
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Anonymous Call Rejection not working


@coenoby wrote:

@goslow wrote:


@Motherhen2


screening devices (such as the trueCall) do actually allow genuine 'withheld' callers to get through because a 'real' (non-scammer) person can successfully complete the simple screening process and get through to you as required.


Absolutely. 👍

My point was that ACR is just too restrictive to be a useful aid in weeding out unwanted calls.

Coenoby


Yep, ACR is a pretty pointless (and potentially harmful!) feature now IMO but, as far as I have been able to work out, it is the one and only feature available on the VM landline service that VM can put forward as a mitigating measure against the scam calls!

0 Kudos
Reply