cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Announced call home phone

AB17
Joining in

Have a call blocker phone   this past week scam calls have come through local area codes, 1 was Amazon yesterday saying I've been charged over £300 for answering my home phone. My announced call is not working , had another scam phonecall this morning. If the numbers are not on my contacts my phone shouldn't even be ringing it should automatically block as it has done for past few years. I phoned virgin this morning and paid for added protection of £2.25 a month as I was told there was nothing could be done  for me as is. I was told to activate ? 227 # on my cordless phone , there is no question mark, I'm now paying an extra £2.25 on top of a £98 bill and still getting scam and harassing phone calls on a bt call guardian phone. Why has this never been issue before now. I had to contact fraud UK yesterday about 01324 821668 Amazon scam yesterday.

Can you please help me 

2 REPLIES 2

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @AB17

Thanks for your post 🙂 

I'm very sorry to hear you're experiencing spam calls, I appreciate how frustrating this must be and we apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

I'm going to send you a PM for more details so we can look into things for you and advise further. 

Please look out for a notification in the purple envelope located in the top right hand corner of your screen.

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@AB17 wrote:

Have a call blocker phone   this past week scam calls have come through local area codes, <snip>

Can you please help me 

What model of BT phone are you using?

Could you have inadvertently changed a setting on the phone to disable the Call Guardian or modify how it responds?

What is the caller ID showing when these scam calls come in?

Typically if caller ID is not working correctly, everyone would be challenged by the phone, even known contacts. Sounds like the Call Guardian might be off.

If VM have talked you into paying for anonymous caller rejection, that is a near-useless service which only works on a very limited type of withheld call. It will also potentially block legitimate calls from doctors/hospitals etc. Not worth having IMO and certainly not worth paying £2.25 p.m. for.

On BT systems the codes for turning ACR on/off are below, I assume that is the codes you were given

https://telephonesuk.org.uk/network-codes/

Would assume this would only work on VM with BT-type equipment in use on VM.