Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Amazon scam calls - Premium Rate charges

I received a call at 9.01am on 28/12/19 (which woke me up)-  a robotic voice informed me that £39.99 would be taken from my bank account to continue my Amazon Prime subscription. (In fact I don't have one.)

To stop this happening, I could 'press button 1' to speak to an Amazon manager to cancel the subscription. In my sleepy stupor I did press 1, but it didn't connect to anyone and I hung up - I was only on for around 10-15 seconds.

Having checked this in articles online it seems it's a common scam. If you do connect, an 'agent' tries to get you to disclose your bank details or gets you to give them remote access to your computer. I checked with Amazon and it is definitely a scam - they don't make unsolicited calls to customers.

However pressing button 1 connects you to a Premium Rate number (no idea what the rate is) and this gets added to your bill. 

I've now waited 24 hours to see what charges have been applied to my Virgin landline account for the brief connection - so far nothing has appeared. 

As 24 hours have elapsed, am I now safe to assume that no charge has been applied? Or could it suddenly appear on my bill? I don't want to live in a state of apprehension until the next Virgin bill arrives or constantly keep checking my Virgin account online. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Amazon scam calls - Premium Rate charges

Hi Mmjones, 

Sounds like you've not had much luck with this one, they're incredibly sneaky. The charge could appear near to your direct debit date or on next month's bill, so just keep checking. If you do find a charge by all means come back and we'll see if we can do anything. But hopefully you have dodged this one *Fingers crossed* 

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

This hasn't reassured me. I'm absolutely certain that Virgin has the technology to see instantly whether any charge has been made - it may be time-consuming and troublesome for you but you have an anxious worried customer here. So I'm now supposed to wait in apprehension to see what charge has been applied. It's not good enough. If you cannot provide me with any certainty on this issue I will have to leave your service for a provider that can. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi mmjones,

I'll send you a PM now ans we'll see if I can see anything different, but most of the time we can only see what you see on your online account. I will be more than happy to try and reassure you though. 

I'll speak to you again in a moment over PM 🙂

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again to mmjones29 for joining us for a private conversation, I'm glad we've got to the bottom of everything for you. There are a few points we'd like to clarify for anyone else reading this thread or experiencing similar concerns.

First of all, landline charges are added to your bill once the call charges have been requested by the receiving company. There is a three month window from the date of the call itself for these to be requested. This does mean that call charges can be delayed and added to later bills, depending on when we receive charge requests.

Ofcom's website has plenty of advice regarding scam or nuisance calls, from managing and reducing calls received, to reporting any fraudulent activity. I'd recommend taking a look  through the dedicated sections for further information. We would always support their recommendation to report any suspicious activity to Action Fraud.

The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is a free service where you can opt out of unsolicited marketing or sales calls. This does not include calls from your existing service providers, these would have to be opted out of internally. Unfortunately, this register can be negated by companies calling from internet-based or non-UK numbers.

You can also purchase call guardian devices, whether integrated into your landline itself, or as an add-on device. There are a variety of models and options available in the current market, a quick Google search will bring up a selection.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos