Menu
Jim76
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Amazon Scam

Hi there,

We just had a call from what seems to be this Amazon Prime scam going around (I didn't know about it until this happened). Got told my card was going to be used to pay for amazon prime, press 1 if I don't want it to happen. I pressed 1. The message was repeated again, which I thought was weird, so I put the phone down.

Is there any way that they could have got anything from me on this? How do I know that I'm not going to get a big charge for a premium phone call as a result? There doesn't seem to be anyway to contact Virgin other than on here. Can someone from Virgin help?

Kind regards

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Amazon Scam

Hello

As long as you have not pressed a key then there is nothing to worry about, it is one of the many scams/phishing attempts going round at the moment. Have a look at https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/bd-p/Internet_Security which shows that latest attempt at phishing.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Jim76
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,

That's the problem, I pressed the 1 key as instructed. The message then repeated, then I put the phone down. I want to make sure I'm not getting charged or anything.

Kind regards

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You should be OK. All you have done is to confirm a live phone number so you'll get bombarded. But keep an eye on your bank accounts and phone bill. It happens all the time on my BT line and nothing untoward has happened so far.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Jim76
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Appreciate the assistance from both, be good if there was some way I could speak to somebody at Virgin to confirm that no ridiculous premium rate charges have been put on to our bill...

0 Kudos