Menu
CaptainGrog
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Additional phone socket

When we had our new installation of VM broadband, TV and phone line the other day the engineer told us that the phone line was provided via the Super Hub - specifically the two grey RJ11 ports at the top into which he plugged an adapter.

We hadn't realised that the VM landline would use different technology to the existing BT phone line and that the existing BT sockets in the house would not work, so feel a bit cheated by this. We need a phone socket upstairs as my mother uses a special hard-of-hearing phone.

What are my options here? Can VM install this additional phone socket (the engineer said he didn't have time to do it)? Or would a DIY installation be an option?

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Additional phone socket

Virgin can run a wire from the hub into your closest BT socket that will then activate the other socket upstairs.

0 Kudos
CaptainGrog
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply jb66. Do you know what kind of wire that would be? I wonder if it's a standard type I might already have a spare of?

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

It's slightly more technical than that as the old Openreach line needs to be separated but it was just to say its possible but still would require a technician to do this

0 Kudos