Menu
bobbutler
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Adding a longer cable from my hub to phone

I have tried to put a 5m telephone cable between the Hub and the Phone, but I get no dial tone. Are all cables wired the same? What am I doing wrong?

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Adding a longer cable from my hub to phone

Hello

The cable you are using is it directly into the hub or are you using the adapter that VM supplied ?

Does the phone line work normally direct to hub, if it does then there is a problem with the cable.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
goslow
Rising star
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@bobbutler wrote:

I have tried to put a 5m telephone cable between the Hub and the Phone, but I get no dial tone. Are all cables wired the same? What am I doing wrong?

Presumably your phone setup works with the phone plugged direct into the hub via the short adapter lead?

What connectors are on each end of the 5m lead? If it has a standard BT telephone plug on one end and a standard BT telephone socket on the other then that should work normally. You need to try and test the individual parts of your system to try and see where the issue lies.

Are you able to take the 5m lead and test it on another landline connection (friend, family, neighbour)?

Are you able to bring another, known working phone to your own setup and test a different phone connected to your system on the end of the 5m cable?

Default arrangement for the hub telephone is shown in the bottom left pic here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone-line-faults

so, if you had a 5m BT phone plug to BT socket extension lead from the adapter out of the back of the hub to your phone then I would expect that to work.

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the post Bobbutler.

Can we please confirm if you've gone through the suggestions above? 

Let us know, Emily.

0 Kudos