Menu
bushwacka666
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Accidental lengthy call - where do I stand?

Hello. On Thursday 14th May I made a phone call using my home phone at somewhere between 4:45 and 5:00 PM. When the call ended I replaced the receiver. On Friday 15th I received an e-mail from our daughter to find out why the phone had been engaged for a long time. On investigation I found out that the receiver had not been replaced properly, therefore remaining connected to this previous call - it had been like this for approximately 16 hours and I calculate that a call this length would cost me roughly £144.

As this was a genuine mistake and the phone conversation did not actually last this length of time, I am asking if this could be looked at with a view to reduce the cost?

Looking forward to hearing from you and thanking you in advance for your assistance.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Accidental lengthy call - where do I stand?

As long as the other party hung up the call would end, along with any charges.

From that point you just have a phone that is "off the hook" & cant receive incoming calls.

Don't worry about it.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
bushwacka666
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply, nodrogd.

I hope you're right. The reason it concerns me is because we have a phone with a screen that shows how long you've been on a call for. Usually, when a call ends, the screen would say "call ended" and go blank. On this occasion however it was clearly showing a length of over 16 hours which would imply the call was still connected, despite my daughter on the other end having already hung up.

I guess we're not really going to know for sure until the next bill comes in. But has this kind of thing happened to anybody else? Can anybody say how likely Virgin would be to show lenience if it did rack up a high charge like that?

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello bushwacka666

Thanks for your post and done worry about the call

As advised before you will only be charged for the actual time when both calls were connected.

Can you please let us know when your next bill arrived so we can make sure you are not charged anything extra 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
bushwacka666
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello Gareth,

Just to update as requested that we received the latest bill yesterday and I can confirm that this call has not been charged. Puts my mind at ease!

A big thank you again to everyone for their input.

0 Kudos
Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the update bushwacka666,

Glad to hear everything is sorted for you. I will pass on your thanks to all involved. If you have any further issues please come back to us through this channel.

Have a lovely afternoon.

Kind regards Jodi

0 Kudos