Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

7 spam calls today supposedly from Virginmedia

Hi, my first time posting here, please help!

Landline is registered ex-directory, also with TPS. This morning I have received 7 calls so far supposedly from Virginmedia, my provider, saying there is a fault on my Broadband and asking me to log into "anydesk.com" to show me how many faults there are on my pc.  After the first 3 I kept hanging up, PLEASE tell me how I can stop this (and other spam calls) 😠

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: 7 spam calls today supposedly from Virginmedia

Incidentally every call has come from a different number.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Minimum101,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

My apologies for the calls you're receiving. Thanks for being vigilant and realising they're not from us.

Have you reported these to Action Fraud 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Minimum101 wrote:

<snip> PLEASE tell me how I can stop this (and other spam calls) 

Browse through the 'Home phone' and 'Security matters' VM community forums for the past few days, weeks and months and you will find topics and complaints on this posted pretty much on a daily basis. There are many comprehensive replies from various forum members which should give you all of the necessary information.

The short answer to your question is that to deal with the spam/scam calls you should look into getting a call screening/blocking device or a cordless phone with those features built in.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

No, I will do. Thank you John_GS 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Goslow, I haven't had a chance to read through the forums properly as yet so will do this.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I was getting these about every 20-40 minutes non-stop for a couple of days as of last weekend, every single time from a completely random number (so useless to report these numbers).  In the end I unplugged the phone from the line, and ordered a phone with call screening - the one I got was

"BT Premium Cordless Home Phone with 100 Percent Nuisance Call Blocking, Mobile sync and Answering Machine, Single Handset Pack, Black"

For £63 on Amazon - quite pricey but it uses the "trueCall" system which is meant to be the best one (you can get standalone trueCall devices that sit between the phone connection point, and your own/normal phone, too).

It's stopped them all dead.  Only numbers in the phone contact list get straight through (they won't know anything has changed). Unrecognised numbers hit an automated system requiring them to say who they are, and hit a certain number on their phone, and only after they do this, will your phone ring - and you can hear who they say they are, and accept, reject, or send to answer machine, at that point.  Automated calls will never get this far, as they can't do what is required of them, so it kills them all without you ever being aware of their attempts.

What we all have to hope is that these scammers, who are able to spoof *ANY* number they want, don't start linking different people's numbers/contacts in a clever way, and calling you from people on your contact list to get through automatically... we really need Ofcom, and phone companies in general, to up their game in pushing for a solution to this at a national level.

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

As a by the way, I think the spammers have been using my number as the one they display. A couple of times presently I have received calls from people returning calls they have missed from me.

Each time I have had to reassure them that I have not called them and no body from my house has. If a couple have return these missed calls there must be hundreds that have done like I would do and ignored them.

I can only assume that the scammers have took my number of one of their suckers lists of picked it at random.

Isn't it a shame that virgin don't offer call screening software on our land lands like BT and talktalk do!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Azzer, so frustrating isn't it. This phone/answerphone sounds just what I need to deter them!! Having said that, I decided to leave my phone on answerphone on all day today, and after the 2nd unknown number of the morning, the phone has been wonderfully silent!!

I will definitely make a note of the phone/answerphone and consider getting one!

These scammers are so blooming clever aren't they.

Thank you everyone for your help.

0 Kudos