Menu
roban
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

5 scam calls so far this week

So we dont use our landline number for anything what-so-ever. It came with the package, we bought a cheap phone to plug in for emergencies and that is all.

We've always had a couple of calls every now and then from bt, openreach and virgin. (one of the callers denied that virgin and openreach were not the same thing).

This week we have had five calls (over 4 days, one day rest) from "virgin", our internet is too slow, there are errors showing on their server, etc etc etc. 

How do i stop this? We enabled TPS day one, we dont hand out the number to anymore. What else can i do to stop idiots calling me and wasting my time.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: 5 scam calls so far this week

Hello roban 

Sorry to hear about the unwanted calls that you have been receiving 

The scammer that call are able to hide the number they call from do it makes its impossible to track them and stop them 

You can report nuisance calls here 

Other than that it's a uphill battle right now across all Telephone providers 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

First thing. Hang up immediately. Don’t converse with them or you just invite more calls.

These calls are automated at the scammers end, & they can call thousands of numbers in a day. The numbers they use are fake or cloned from other unsuspecting users, & as these emanate from abroad & enter the country via the internet, there is very little our antiquated analogue phone system is capable of doing to block them. Reporting the numbers therefore is also of little use.

A call minder service like TrueCall is the only real way of filtering them yourself.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
goslow
Rising star
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@roban wrote:

<snip>

How do i stop this? We enabled TPS day one, we dont hand out the number to anymore. What else can i do to stop idiots calling me and wasting my time.

From what you have described, why have the phone in a fully operational state at all if it is there just for emergency purposes and you don’t give out the number?

Why not unplug it and connect only when needed or turn off the ringer and just screen any incoming calls on caller display?

From past posts on the forums, and my own experience, there is some evidence to suggest that when the scam auto diallers only ever receive unanswered ringing, or constant diverts to answering machine, then the number being dialled gets demoted on the dialling lists and the frequency of the scam calls reduces. Some reports have suggested this can happen very quickly but sometimes it can also take a period of months for the scam calls to subside.

0 Kudos
spiderrog
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

which is all very well but landlines are quite often the preferred way of contacting patients from the NHS and GP's. At this time calls from such organisations can be very important especially to the older sectors. We are all becoming extremely frustrated that with today's technology VM or any of the other providers have not come up with a resolution to this "problem" from these chancers. I just find it unbelievable that we keep getting told that there is no solution, if the will was really there then it would happen. Didn't take us that long to develop a vaccine after all did it

Rant over

0 Kudos
goslow
Rising star
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The most sensible approach for anyone who makes regular use of their VM landline on the current phone network is to get a call-screening device such as trueCall or a phone with call screening features built in, if they are troubled by excessive scam calls.

When the current phone network is phased out by 2025, future initiatives on the replacement system may offer better screening at a network level to filter out the scammers. In the US/Canada, they are proposing this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STIR/SHAKEN

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@spiderrog wrote:

I just find it unbelievable that we keep getting told that there is no solution, if the will was really there then it would happen. Didn't take us that long to develop a vaccine after all did it

Rant over

Mixing digital systems with analogue is always going to be a compromise. Any VoIP security system would have to handshake at both the initiators IP & receivers IP. At present the digital receiver is an analogue conversion hub. The receiver therefore does not have a fixed IP address for the call recipient.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos