cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

21CV Definition

otronics
On our wavelength

What does 21CV stand for? I can't find a definition anywhere. Thanks.

15 REPLIES 15

VMUser1812
Fibre optic

@otronics wrote:

What does 21CV stand for? I can't find a definition anywhere. Thanks.

21st Century Voice!

Yes, I know, completely meaningless, but someone in a ‘marketing’ meeting thought it sounded ‘cool’ and ‘futuristic’, so that’s what it’s called!

Otherwise, technically, it doesn’t mean anything at all, which is why you won’t find any formal definition as it’s just a ‘made up’ term!

21CV is a basic telephone service delivered without using an analogue telephone exchange.

The allows the telephone exchange and the telephone lines to be retired.

Marketing term 21CV is as knock off of BT's 21CN

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_21CN

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Otronics 👋 welcome back to community! Thank you for posting. 

Thanks to the community for chipping in here and outlining the meaning of 21CV. They are correct - it means 21st Century Voice. This is the term for our Voice over IP service (Landline via Broadband hub). 

There's some great information to be found on the community about this here 👉 Everything You Need To Know - Virgin Media Community - 4757332, via our website here 👉 Landline Switchover | Virgin Media Help and via this leaflet 👉 Switchover_Migration_Leaflet.pdf (virginmedia.com)

If you have any other specific questions or concerns please feel free to ask and we will do our best to help! 
Wishing you all the best. 🌞

Molly

VOIP
Tuning in

21CV accepts pulse dialling (loop disconnect). Will Virgin Medias VoIP service continue to accept pulse dialling into the future?

Hi @VOIP 

We don't have a list of compatible handsets to be able to say for sure I'm afraid.

We do know that 21 CV uses tone dialing however there have been some posts from people who have a pulse dial handset and it has worked for them.

I know it's not great but the only answer we can give is to try the handset once your migration happens. If it doesn't work you would either need to look at getting a conversion kit or purchase a handset that is compatible.

Hopefully the handset will work for you though. 

Thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

VOIP
Tuning in

Thank you for your reply, but that does not answer my question.

My understanding that 21cv will be replaced with a full voip service by 2028 and this will be tone dialling only. As I understand it now, 21cv accepts pulse and tone dialling.

Where can I get a definitive answer please?

We don't have a definitive answer at this stage but I have spoken to a contact to see if we have any further info on this.

Will keep you posted. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@VOIP wrote:

Thank you for your reply, but that does not answer my question.

My understanding that 21cv will be replaced with a full voip service by 2028 and this will be tone dialling only. As I understand it now, 21cv accepts pulse and tone dialling.

Where can I get a definitive answer please?

Doubtful you will get a definitive (and reliable) answer from VM. Technical questions on here about VM's present-day operations and equipment often fail to get answers let alone for something 5 years into the future.

VM's general approach for the present version of 21CV seems to be to try to eradicate legacy technology such as telephone extension sockets around the home and phones with bells or those requiring a ringer wire. Answers from VM on here generally push customers towards using cordless phones and replacing old telephones with new ones.

AIUI, pulse dialling does not work across the whole of VM's POTS phone network. I have read elsewhere in the past that VM's telephony equipment is a mix of UK and US devices (from the former cable TV companies) and it is the UK equipment which continues to offer pulse dialling to VM customers. Some of the forum regulars who have links to VM could probably go into more detail on this, if I have stated it correctly.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@VOIP wrote:

21CV accepts pulse dialling (loop disconnect). Will Virgin Medias VoIP service continue to accept pulse dialling into the future?

The current 21CV setup still uses the old exchanges. Until these analogue PSTN exchanges at the cable headends are shut down in 2025 you will still be able to use pulse dialling if you can now. After that no. Server based VoIP does not support it. If you want to use it after that date you will need a converter.

https://www.vintagetelephony.co.uk/product/pulse-to-tone-converter-dial-a-tone-dialatone 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks