Menu
Notavurgin
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

001 scam calls

We've had several scam calls recently from numbers beginning 001, which are obviously fake phone numbers. Why don't Virgin Media block these calls?

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team Manager
Forum Team Manager
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: 001 scam calls

Hi there @Notavurgin

Welcome to our Community and thanks so much for your first post - sorry to understand that you've been getting some unwanted calls recently. All providers have seen an increase of scam/spam calls over the last few months; we assure you that we're doing what we can in the background to try and reduce the amount that get to you however, with new scams and numbers (including number spoofing) this is a difficult task.

We do have a dedicated help page about Nuisance Calls which may help you out. 

For calls that look like they're coming from an international number such as in your example, this has a special name - Wangiri. You can read more about that one here

Hope that helps a bit and puts your mind at ease. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: 001 scam calls

@Notavurgin wrote:

We've had several scam calls recently from numbers beginning 001, which are obviously fake phone numbers. Why don't Virgin Media block these calls?

These calls cannot be blocked for several reasons. These calls originate from abroad via the internet through many possible gateways. Because the system we use is analogue, there are no possibilities for adding security to authenticate the incoming number.

These scammers can also fake ANY number. As explained above, the lack of security means they can clone numbers of genuine businesses & residential lines as well as unused ones.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/My-phone-number-is-being-spoofed-to-make-scam-cal... 

Blocking these would block genuine calls as well as the fake ones, plus the scammers change their numbers at random almost every time they call.

VM BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos