cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Your area is not oversubscribed...honestly"

TOGAPower
On our wavelength

6111a0c13ea93c15e0becf71519f283f8871222b-17-01-2022

Could somebody please explain how the clear spikes in latency at 3pm and 6pm do not correspond with oversubscription? The above is for today...how about a previous Sunday:

aab89f834d381548e03fc7c2581a87d11c2a746c-02-01-2022

I have been told repeatedly that the area is not oversubscribed. Can somebody from Virgin please explain to me why my connection becomes unreliable at the same time every day, especially on the weekends...

62 REPLIES 62

There's more to this than pure over-utilisation, as evidenced by the spikes through the small hours when the network is devoid of traffic, but clearly VM are displaying the customer focus and quality that they are famed for, since this has been running for months now.  You said you wanted out of contract, so there's steps to take now, and of course given the long running nature of this problem you're entitled to compensation for the poor connection, poor customer service, and the distress and inconvenience - I'd suggest asking for £20 a month for the duration of poor connection, and £100 for the poor customer service and £100 for the distress and hassle.  There's a guide to what the industry complaints adjudicator considers reasonable here.  Note that my suggested £20 a month is a refund, in respect of poor service, not compensation as such.  VM won't be volunteering any of these and even in the rare instances they do, their goodwill compensation offers are frankly laughable and should be rejected as a matter of routine.

1) If you have previously raised a complaint, and that's more than eight weeks ago, then you're now good to go to step 3.

2) If you haven't already raised a formal complaint, then you do need to do that as a required step before you can take this further.  In this, summarise experience, and ask for release from contract without penalty and compensation as you believe appropriate  If doing this for a first time, try the (unfortunately unreliable) complaint form in My Virgin Media.  If that doesn't work, do it in writing by post to the address halfway down this page.  That will get you a complaint reference, and usually fairly quickly a "resolution" letter.  Unless they agree to settle on your terms, you immediately reply, rejecting their resolution and asking for a deadlock letter.  You then move on to the next 3.

3)  With either a complaint reference that is over 8 weeks old and still unresolved, or with a deadlock letter for a newer complaint, then you escalate for arbitration at CISAS.  Again, summarise the complaint and the history of trying to get it resolved, including any instances of long call waits, call disconnections, rudeness, or broken promises, as these are important additional considerations when CISAS's trained adjudicators consider any complaint.  Ask to be released from contract without penalty and for compensation. If you need to involve CISAS, the grounds of your complaint is the poor performance, and your request for release from contract without penalty is twofold: First the Consumer Rights Act 2015 that requires any consumer service to be provided with "reasonable skill and care", and second, the Ofcom Fairness Commitments, that state "Customers’ services work as promised, reliably over time. If things go wrong providers give a prompt response to fix problems and take appropriate action to help their customers, which may include providing compensation where relevant. If providers can’t fix problems with core services they have promised to deliver within a reasonable period, customers can walk away from their contract with no penalty."  Remember that CISAS are independent - they're not consumer champions, they're adjudicators, so it is down to you to make a solid case as to how and why VM have failed you, failed to rectify the problem, and caused inconvenience and distress.

Of course, VM could save themselves the adjudication case fees of several hundred quid by settling with you now.  You know they'll lose this case at CISAS.  I know they'll lose this case at CISAS.  Forum staff know they'll lose this case at CISAS.  The only logic for refusing to settle is the hope that you'll be put off and give up, and there is a certain amount of evidence that supports that rather twisted approach to complaints by the company.  If VM do make an offer at this point, don't settle for less than you think is warranted, since by settling without you involving the adjudication service they're already around £400 better off.

Hey there @TOGAPower, thanks for reaching for out to us.

I'm sorry to see the issues with the connection 😞
Are you able to provide a link with a live BQM result?
This way we can investigate further on the matter and see if there's anything in the area causing the issue.

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

TOGAPower
On our wavelength

Here is the link to the live graph.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/13c66a6e46ecc77697a08d87e378f01eb8... 

13c66a6e46ecc77697a08d87e378f01eb8af6413

Dropped packets galore. The latency even rendered video streaming unwatchable for a few hours yesterday.

Surely you have better tools on your end to diagnose this rather than relying on a 3rd party monitor? I am proceeding with a CISAS claim in the meantime (thanks for the advice up above!), as the service being provided now is unsuitable for even the most non-demanding connectivity needs.

Just VM in denial about the cause of the problem.... throw more 🤑 at the problem

---------------------------------------------------------------

TOGAPower
On our wavelength

No response from VM?

Thanks for coming back to us @TOGAPower and I'm sorry to hear of and see the issues that you're having with your connection, the BQM you have supplied doesn't look good at all.

How is your connection running at the moment, as I have just looked into the connection in your area and your individual connection and cannot see any issues with both.

Regards,

Steven_L

Forum staff: "How is your connection running at the moment, as I have just looked into the connection in your area and your individual connection and cannot see any issues with both."

Would seem the forum staff need some more training, because TOGApower's live BQM shows an absolute stinker of a connection, visible to anybody capable of clicking on a link and interpreting a simple chart.  At the moment of writing it doesn't look like over-utilisation, but it does look like a barely useable connection with severe noise problems. 

However, if you're now in the CISAS process, let that run.  VM have had every chance, and flunked each one.  Also, VM staff are supposed not to make any statements or take actions around a CISAS case when it is in progress, and claiming that all is good when it patently is not is hardly going to help.  Very occasionally CISAS manage to fluff up cases like this, I suspect because sometimes the adjudicators don't understand the technicalities of latency and packet loss.  If that happens and the CISAS outcome is not satisfactory, then there's other options through the online small claims court processes.  We can worry about that if necessary. 

Whoops, accidental post.

06377e858e4e9ca07a4f34c0d1327c3c-05-03-2017.png2.JPGvmcrap.JPGAfter New YearAfter New Year

Me with Virgin Media over the past few years (thankfullly they were ditched months ago)

45cecb0323eefa3fbe732cec2673085554501e8c-18-02-2023.png

My new FTTP connection with Vodafone 940 up / 940 down.  VM you are not missed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@GMAN73 wrote:

06377e858e4e9ca07a4f34c0d1327c3c-05-03-2017.png2.JPGvmcrap.JPGAfter New YearAfter New Year

Me with Virgin Media over the past few years (thankfullly they were ditched months ago)

45cecb0323eefa3fbe732cec2673085554501e8c-18-02-2023.png

My new FTTP connection with Vodafone 940 up / 940 down.  VM you are not missed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If anyone ever needed a visual comparison of the quality of virgin vs competition,

This is it.