cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Your area is not oversubscribed...honestly"

TOGAPower
On our wavelength

6111a0c13ea93c15e0becf71519f283f8871222b-17-01-2022

Could somebody please explain how the clear spikes in latency at 3pm and 6pm do not correspond with oversubscription? The above is for today...how about a previous Sunday:

aab89f834d381548e03fc7c2581a87d11c2a746c-02-01-2022

I have been told repeatedly that the area is not oversubscribed. Can somebody from Virgin please explain to me why my connection becomes unreliable at the same time every day, especially on the weekends...

62 REPLIES 62

AlfieJPalmer
On our wavelength

Pretty much the same response I'm getting on my thread - you can see our graphs are very similar:

lol.png

Social media experiment: If people read this and think @TOGAPower is suffering from an over-utilised VM network, click and award their original post a kudos (not mine).  Let's see if forum users believe the "no not us" story from VM. 

you are not in BD4 are you - mine has been like that for years - it did improve for a while a few years back they then took on a load more customers

the explanation i get is that it does not breach the limits that are set for over utilisation - who sets those limits is any ones guess - VM i would guess - i just gave up bothering - it is what it is and in my area they continue to take on new users so it must be ok 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

What area are you by chance? I am 30 (RG18 postcode)

The upstream unless scheduler is like “we can buffer ever modem needing to send something beyond the capacity but we will delivery if not a bit late!”

---------------------------------------------------------------

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@-tony- it is what it is and in my area they continue to take on new users so it must be ok 

Well, I've seen your BQM and you know my thoughts.  For the benefit of others, over-utilisation is certainly OK with VM, because (a) they can make a shed load more money selling the same capacity to multiple customers, (b) thanks to the uselessness of Ofcom there's no regulatory consequences for VM from signing up more customers than the network can handle, and (c) the widespread lack of high speed broadband options means there's a reluctance of customers to leave (or if they do it's sooooo easy for VM to lure in more with mendacious advertising).

Yeah - I agree with all of your points. Especially with the blatant advertising lies such as: "Best Broadband for Gaming | Virgin Media"

Theres been lots of this lately and its driving me crazy.

Spandecks_0-1642439140469.png

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Spandecks wrote:

Theres been lots of this lately and its driving me crazy.

Spandecks_0-1642439140469.png

that pretty much is the same as mine - as i said has been like it for years - but the last time it was investigated it was within utilisation limits - again like i said i stopped bothering - i dont game - i dont need the 200 i am on so it works and the area is a mess at the moment as BT install FTTP - so that may well change things in the future - either i leave or wait for many others to

Tony.
Sacked VIP