Menu
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 11 of 184
Flag for a moderator

Re: ps4 lag spikes from mid december

Hi Parr86lid2,

Welcome to our community and thanks for posting. Sorry that you seem to be having issues with our internet services whilst gaming. We know how frustrating this can be.

We have done a check on our end and there is nothing showing that should  be causing this issue.

Can we ask if the issue is just with your PS4 or any other device? You also advised in your post that you reset your hub, did this make any difference at all?

Please let us us know so we can assist you further.

Many Thanks Jodi

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 12 of 184
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jodi, thanks for the reply.

I only use my ps4 for online gaming in the evenings around the time the latency spikes occur in the BQM i posted. I would have my phone connected but not in use although sometimes I would try to watch to football streams as i play online while friends are watching it but mine seems to cut out. One guy i know on BT has 2 ps4 systems running at the same time and watches football in the evening with a quarter of the download speed i have and all without complaining about lag.

Anyway I reset the hub and set up the DMZ for ps4 again last night around 7:30pm (it was in DMZ back in December when these problems started) and started a game up which was completely lagging for the first half of it but seemed to smooth out for the rest of the night until 10pm when i switched off. Hopefully this continues but my latency is always higher than other peoples when i check in game.

I am curious about the latency on the BQM between 6pm-10pm each night, is that normal during these times? Also can having Virgin Hotspot being active on my hub affect performance? I know it is not meant to affect my speeds but could it interfere with my gaming in anyway?

thanks for any future help
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 13 of 184
Flag for a moderator

Hi parr86lid2,

Can you please clarify if you are only receiving this issue on your PS4? Apologies - I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but just need to be certain so we can help provide the correct solution to the issue.

Also, it would be really helpful if you could set up a live BQM, rather than a static one so we can get a clearer idea of what is actually going on during the lag. 

Once again, I did check your account and there still seems to be no visible or concerning issues as far as your specs are concerned. Everything seems to be within all the correct parameters.

If you could set up that BQM that would be fabulous.

Best,

Beth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 14 of 184
Flag for a moderator

hi beth

yes latency issues on ps4

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/50f98b892143b147bbb418ff40042f3dac...

i think that should be the correct link for the live graph. between 6-10pm seems to be the worst times

thanks
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 15 of 184
Flag for a moderator

Hi parr86lid2, we will send you a private message. Chris 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 16 of 184
Flag for a moderator

hi chris, i did reply last night but haven't heard anything since

it would be nice to get some feedback on my BQM also
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 17 of 184
Flag for a moderator

Another night, another horrible gaming session.......and going off the graph posted below it seems to be going worse.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/8e8c1fa1b8c439282e95d97a0a5bb42969...

I sent a graph from yesterday to an online friend that works for Open reach and he showed it to a colleague.

his colleague said something along the lines off "it is because virgin are promising high speed but the network can't cope with the traffic" and "Fibre to the Premises should be a constant steady connection"

Going off the graphs i have seen this week my connection is far from steady especially at evenings

I can only imagine things will get worse with more people self isolating at home over the next few weeks but I just get told there is nothing wrong on virgin's end or pressured into joining Gadget Rescue. (who failed to help on 2 separate occasions)

I couldn't even watch a youtube video on my laptop today

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 18 of 184
Flag for a moderator

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/50f98b892143b147bbb418ff40042f3dac...

LIVE GRAPH

Just as I thought, things have gone worse today with more people at home in my area.

Surely this is down to network traffic in my area?

Any feedback on these graphs would be greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 19 of 184
Flag for a moderator

I found this on another thread which sums up exactly what is going on not just for me but many others on this forum.

I have been having the same problem for the last 2-3 months. I will run through how VM work so you can understand why nothing has been done or will be done for gamers.

Their business model works on the principle that they squeeze more and more people onto their network until it starts suffering from packet loss and instability and then slowly within 6 - 12 months or possibly years later (if enough people complain) they slowly upgrade their network to handle the amount of people.

So for gamers, you are screwed if you start being effected by the packet loss as they literally won't do anything to resolve it. I have had engineers come out and tell me there is nothing wrong, yet I can show them TBB charts very clearly showing the issue, I can show them videos of where I am rubber banding around a map and getting killed purely because of the lag spikes / packet loss issue.

Having tried everything with them, I can honestly say the only option left to you if you are suffering from the same issues is to change provider. Friends on conventional FTTC (BT) may have a slower speed, but their ping is rock solid and lower than virgin media's and the are about 50% of the cost as well.

I have given up being put through to Indian call centres where the people I speak to are reading from a script and have zero idea what pack loss or lag or inconsistency even means let alone fix it. Virgin media have been rock solid for about 5 years for me, but now it is practically 50% redundant as gaming is no longer possible.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 20 of 184
Flag for a moderator

online gaming is the main usage of my broadband and i can't do it with virgin anymore 

today has been horrendous for gaming

here is Monday 16th 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/3a16c1bdcb2c897793da25c99db9376288...

here is today

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/77da97363442086ba8c85d4f9d74290aff753bba-21-03-2020

No one from the forum team will help or give me any feed back on these graphs i have posted over the last week. Even the guys that have sent a private message won't reply. It seems like they are told to not admit fault on virgin's behalf or they will get in trouble with their bosses.

At the end of the day it is us customers who suffer

0 Kudos