cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ps4 connection issues.

footinfront
Joining in

hey hope anyone can help. my ps4 has quit connecting to my wifi. after doing a bit of reading, i have tryed all sorts of settings on the ps4 setup. try different dns settings. easy setup, manual setup. change this,change that nothing seems to work. it will work fine when i use ethernet cable, but its not pratical. ps4 worked fine till couple days ago. it just wont connect to internet. finds ip address fine then just fails. i have not changed any settings in the hub. all other gagets working fine. xbox,phones,sonos speakers etc etc. any advice please. thx for reading.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@footinfront wrote:

new update, I have completed a full initial factory reset, tried to set up a normal wifi connection to the super hub,but it fails. conclusion super hub 3 settings are stopping the connection, will need to investigate further.

Be wary of jumping to conclusions.  Sometimes it's best just to say what's happening and let people troubleshoot for you.

With regards to mentions of DNS - everyone should be aware that if there are connection issues, this can sometimes manifest as DNS errors as DNS resolution is one of the first things that has to happen in many cases.  Let's take wifi out of the mix for a moment what happens if you use a wired connection to the PS4?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

34 REPLIES 34

Lindsey_C
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi footinfront,

Thanks for your post.

Very sorry to hear you are having issues connecting your PS4.

Please can you post a picture of the test for internet connection? You can do this test by doing the following: (Settings) > [Network] > [Test InternetConnection].

Also can you expand on what's happening when you try and use the PS4? Are you able to get onto any online games or use any apps at all?
Thanks

Lindsey_C

thanks for the reply, but i am having a few problems up loading the photo to here, i not very tech headed.20190529_141445.jpg

forgot to add, i cannot check any apps because of no internet connection by WIFI. all works well when i use ethernet connection . cheers

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for getting back to us footinfont.

I have done some digging and when taking a browse through PlayStation's Forums/Community help pages I see that there have been a few recommendations posted on how to fix the issue. 

Can you pop on their support and have a read and let us know how you get on and if any of the recommendations resolve this for you?

Thanks 

Nat

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@footinfront Which PS4 do you have?  Original, Slim or Pro?

If it is a Slim or Pro (the Original doesn't support 5GHz) and it is trying to connect to the 5GHz wireless band then this thread suggests adjusting the 5Ghz channel width might help:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/No-Wi-Fi-on-a-PS4-Slim/m-p/3997891#M232311

To adjust the 5Ghz band settings you need to go to the advanced settings on your hub, then go to the "Configure your WiFi connection" section:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-configure-advanced-settings-on-your-hub

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

thanks for the reply, so here is where I,m at, spoke to Sony UK, they advised yo check ports TCP 80 443 3478 3479 3480

u d p  3478 3479 . also took the ps4 round next door, (virgin customer) it failed. set my phone as hotspot it failed to connect again. failed with d n a error NW-31253-4. my next step is going to be phone virgin ask them to check all ports or open, my guess they gonna say yes. after that maybe it's in the bin and a new xbox digital. 

ps. It's a slim. and it connected from new with no problems.

It seems a little irrational to throw away a PS4 because you're having a DNS issue, have you ensured you haven't set a custom DNS server under the network settings at any point?

Virgin won't help with port forwarding if you call them, they'll just direct you to the paid gadget helpline. This isn't a port forwarding error anyway.

If you're positive the DNS settings are set to auto and not manually configured in the PS4 you could go as far as resorting to a full system reset. You can find the instructions for that here under the "How do I manually reinstall" heading: https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/help-library/system---hardware/system-software/safe-mode-...

cheers cheese. going for a full reset, if this fails problem might be wifi module/board failing/broken. this again.