Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

nat type ps4

for years my NAT Type was open (and im talking 10 years of gaming) but in the past few years its just changed to Moderate/NAT TYPE 2?

Port forwarding doesnt change anything, nothing does.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: nat type ps4

NAT type 2 is fine for PS.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

but feels different, I get delay when playing,my connection is now 4 bars instead of 5
Years ago it used to be Nat type 1/OPEN and I had full bars. I had 9 ping. Now I get 4 bars out of 5 and 40 ping.I used to have a router, do you think buying a router could also help? 

I'M a semi pro gamer, I can feel the delay and its important I get this solved.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Are you saying your gaming on WIFI...LOL

For starters the SH Wifi is useless, and for gaming its beyond a JOKE.

I myself have a SH3 in modem mode, and an ASUS router, my Gaming PC and my PS4Pro are both on WIRED Connections. This works for me.

--
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Funny you should mention this - ive had exactly the same problem and have been recently doing some trouble shooting for a Destiny Friend in america. 

Please forgive me is you already understand the below. but this may be helpful for anyone else.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

- NAT = Network Address Translation. This is the process of Opening and closing Virtual Tunnels ( more commonly referred to as Ports)

-  These range from 1 - 9999. 

- They can be opened by a request from the End User (Client) or someone else external . This can be another Client or Server. the important thing to note here , is that this ( can be a two way process.)

- Generally speaking,  TCP packets are used for "DOWNLOAD" and UPD packets are used for "UPLOAD"

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

NAT TYPE - (Ripped from the Sony Website) 

Type 1 (Open): The system is directly connected to the Internet (no router or firewall), and you should have no problems connecting to other PS4 systems.

Type 2 (Moderate): The system is connected through a router properly, and generally you won’t have problems. - (please note that not all ports are open which is why its in between type one and type 3 ...please also note that you may have issues with some applications that use certain ports) 

Type 3 (Strict): The system is connected through a router without open ports or DMZ setup, and you may have problems related with the connection or voice chat.

****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

- so....i have found that there are many online sites that will "check for you" also applications, but my testing has yielded inconsistent results.

- My network setup is 484 down and 50 up // VM HUB3 MODEM MODE > Asus RT68U > into ps4 and pc (CAT6a)  

- I believe the issue is either with the HUB that VM provide or the issue is on thier network...until i find more evidencve.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Open up a command prompt on your computer and type "netstat - a"  this will list ALL ports that are currently connected. It will tell you what state they are in. Note that depending on how you assign your IP address, and how you use "Port Forwarding" or "Port Triggering" (you many want to google those terminology's) will determine if only one device can access this port or multiple devices can access this port. for most people, only one device can be assigned to to a port.  once this device has requested this port to be opened it cannot be used for another device for a pre defined amount of time, or unless a "close port" request has been received. - please note that in order to avoid this , you need to configure the above.

The netstat -a command was useful to cross check ports that were ACTUALLY being used. - what is also interesting is that i get the same issue with 
PC. I have tried the following with no Success.

- Configured PS4 to static IP / Dynamic IP and Manually Port forwarded all DESTINY ports TCP and UPD in ASUS Router

- Configured PS4 to static IP / Dynamic IP and Manually Port forwarded all DESTINY ports TCP and UPD in VM HUB

- Configured PS4 to static IP / Dynamic IP  and Manually Port TRIGGERED all DESTINY ports TCP and UPD in ASUS Router

- Configured ASUS router to DMZ while VM HUB in modem mode. 

all result in Destiny 2 showing as either Moderate in PC or PS4 shows Type two. Note that this was NEVER an issue on my previous Sky 10mbps connection!!!!

the only thing i can think of , is that there must be a rule to NAT on the LAN interface and also the WAN interface. Most providers will work this into their Firmware as an option or do it automatically.     

i would advise that you may want to try what i have done in order to test.  Moderate NAT type will get you through most things in life, but not everything. Ultimately there will be issues with peer to peer connections (multiplayer gaming) 

You  may want to try reading about Port Triggering and define those rules in your VM Hub or Router that you use. If you dont have a router, i would get one. There have been far to many issues with Virgin Media using a Knock off mass produced NETGEAR router and implementing poor firmware. Most issues are solved by wacking the VM hub in to Modem mode.

regards

Flid.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Whoops ....watch out for the spelling mistake on "UDP"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Make sure uPNP and NAT is enabled in the router.

On ASUS router its under WAN / Internet Connection.

--
0 Kudos