Menu
Frosty0
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

high latency issue

hi 

ive been having lots of problems for a while now with high latency packet loss and lag and  whilst gaming this is not just very inconvenient but some days impossible. ive been on think broadband and had my connection monitored for a month or two now and below are shots of what my quality regularly looks like some days are better some are worse here on the 13-5-21 is one of the worst and 12-5-21 also its always better during the day and bad at night.

also on this night my download was 75.1 upload 17.9

12-5-21 ping high.jpg13-5-21 ping high.jpg

obviously i understand that these may well be peak times and others will be using their broadband but i don`t really see this as a suitable excuse for a poor quality connection when other providers without the high speeds you offer seem to cope just fine. ive also port forwarded my router to the device  in order to tackle this problem. 

ive read through a number of links in the forum and this seems to be a common complaint with little information on weather its been rectified for these people so id appreciate some help on the subject . 

steve 

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: high latency issue

If you've done the reading, you already know that it is over-utilisation, that promises of "fix" dates mean nothing, and you either sit it out and hope, or you get yourself a new ISP. 

Sorry to put it that bluntly, but there's nothing the forum staff can do other than quote whatever fix date (if any) is showing on their systems, and you can kick up all the fuss you want, nothing is going to make VM change their well established behaviours when over-utilisation occurs.  If the issue mattered to the company, they wouldn't have sold more contracts than the network had capacity for in the first place.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
hortonj88
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

What Andrew-G said is spot on.

Virgin has connected more customers to the local node than capacity can handle which results in reduced connection stability and performance during the busier times of the week.

Over subscription issues very rarely get fixed and when they do the fix doesn't last long as they keep connecting more and more customers.

Been there, done that.

Dealt with this myself, I'm a gamer who plays latency sensitive games like LOL/DoTA/Valorant.

All of which were super unplayable on VM.

Ride it out or find a non Virgin Media ISP are your options tbh.

Previously M200 (Left due to utilisation)

Now: BT FTTP 900/110 connected an ASUS RT-AC86U router.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/12098955842.png
0 Kudos
Frosty0
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Im truly shocked their allowed to get away with this and I’m now stuck in a contract with a problem i was assured they could deal with what isp do you recommend i live in the Shropshire region last time i looked bt were only able to do fibre to cabinet witch  made me weary of switching 

0 Kudos
hortonj88
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband

Pop your postcode in there see what comes up.

Previously M200 (Left due to utilisation)

Now: BT FTTP 900/110 connected an ASUS RT-AC86U router.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/12098955842.png
0 Kudos
conman33158
Super solver
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Frosty0 wrote:

Im truly shocked their allowed to get away with this and I’m now stuck in a contract with a problem i was assured they could deal with what isp do you recommend i live in the Shropshire region last time i looked bt were only able to do fibre to cabinet witch  made me weary of switching 

Ask yourself the question, "Is fibre to the cabinet good enough for my needs, gaming, streaming etc until BT FTTH becomes available, or do I continue to pay Virgin for an unusable product?"

If Virgin don't fix the problem you can work towards opting out of the contact as they are rescinding their end of the contract by not providing a service you both agreed upon.

***********************************************************************************************************************************
BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
Z92
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You have to remember that Virgin Media is designed as a fast download service, it is typically "OK" for gaming but certainly not the best.

BT FTTC maybe upto 14 times slower, but games typically don't use that much bandwidth and the infrastructure means that latency and ping times are far less than VM.

So if you play games a lot and don't need fast download speeds, FTTC may be the better choice.

Some people have both VM and BT, as BT typically offer you a brilliant deal when you say you are leaving them for VM.

This can be argued in the contract - VM have a minimum speed guarantee, but make no guarantees of latency. (then again, neither do BT)

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Frosty0,

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first posts. 

Sorry to hear you are having issues with latency and lag. We want to do our best to help. I have been able to access your account using your forum details. I can see that there is currently a local fault in the area that may be affecting your  Virgin Fibre, Virgin TV or TiVo® services. Our engineers are currently working on this. 

The current fix time for this is 24 MAY 2021 09:00.

Please let us know if your issues persist after this and we will be happy to look further into this for you.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos