Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

high latency and ping spikes

Since a week or two ago, all games have become unplayable, ping oscillates from 20 to 600, and hugely jitters.  Before it seemed to be working pretty much fine.  Also quite a few sudden short dropouts, in both games and general internet use.  I'm connected through a virgin booster by ethernet, and have checked my pings to 8.8.8.8 etc on several devices, over wifi, and ethernet connected directly to the router, all with the same high ping and extremely high latency variation.  Attached is a snapshot from last night till now.ping.PNG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: high latency and ping spikes

Your BQM looks like both a noisy line and over utilisation, the same condition as this thread refers to.

I'm not sure why, but seem to me there's been a sudden rash of similar over-utilisation problems cropping up in these forums.  Maybe you're all neighbours, or maybe over-utilisation is as infectious as Covid.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I see.  How would I go about verifying this or rectifying it? Do I need to call Virgin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If you wait for a response the forum staff can advise if there's an area fault, and what type it is.  If it is NOT over-utilisation then there a very good chance it will be fixed, and that a pretty accurate fix date will be stated.  You can try phoning it in, whether you'll get an answer, and whether any answer will be clear and accurate I can't say.

If it is over-utilisation then my comments about options in that linked post apply to you - there will be a fault reference and a fix date, but there's no way of knowing (and I don't believe that forum staff or customer services can see, either) if this is a "review date" which means nothing will be done, or whether there's a substantive plan of action.  Evidence in the forums suggest that mostly but not always over-utilisation attracts review dates, probably because fixing it can be complicated and costly, and if the problem is marginal it may self resolve because of some customers leaving.  That's made more difficult with Covid, because particularly with lockdown there's a lot more traffic, both daytime from home working, but also in the evening because we're not able to go out, so lot's more streaming, gaming and video calls.  I've a certain sympathy for VM's network team looking at these problems, because it's difficult to come up with a sensible solution (other than do nothing yet) because anything Covid related may disappear as suddenly as it came, with the DOCSIS 3.1 roll out there's the hope that many over-utilisation faults may melt away because the technology gets a dollop more bandwidth, and at a competitive level as Openreach builds the FTTP footprint there may be some loss of market share by VM.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi calh, 

Thank you for posting to the Community and our apologies for any delays in response. 

I am very sorry to hear you have been experiencing issues with you service.

I've taken a look from our side and can confirm there are no known issues in your area. 

This is a live report so do please let me know if you are still experiencing issues with the service and I will be happy to assist further. 

Thank you 

Nat
0 Kudos