Menu
Roland451
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

bad latency and ping from 6pm to 11pm

I have been a long term virgin customer from blueyonder days.Recently started to have very bad latency between 6pm and 11pm. Very poor ping variance, bandwidth is fine.

This is how it looks.

ping.JPG

Any help appreciated

I have checked modem and power levels are approx 0 and very little TX or RX errors, so I think this is on Vigin's side.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: bad latency and ping from 6pm to 11pm

You need to post a shared graph if you want it to be published (the version you tried to post shows your IP address and hasn't been approved).  And its always best to post a link rather than an image, since the links are subject to automated rather than manual checks.

I can view the rejected image, and the problem is on Virgin Media's network, and the outlook for a fix is poor.  The BQM shows a typical over-utilisation pattern, meaning more traffic than VM's local network can handle. You can choose to believe whether this is Covid related, or whether VM simply sell contracts until (and indeed after) the local network is at capacity, but the outcome is the same for now.

Nothing you can do to improve matters. In some areas VM do indeed undertake work to rejig the local networks to balance loads and eliminate over-utilisation. But sometimes/often that's either not possible, or judged uneconomic if there's a need to spend money on more equipment. And sadly VM won't ever admit the truth, so there will possibly be a fault reference and a "fix date", but there's no way of knowing if that fix date is actually backed by an actual plan of action and programme of works. Quite often it seem not, and as the fix date approaches it is simply moved a month or two ahead.  Forum staff and customer services agents can't see anything other than a review date for the problem, so they themselves don't know if there's a real fix planned.

Your options:

1) Sit it out, and hope that either VM do carry out improvement works. There's little or nothing you can do to force VM to upgrade the network, nor to be honest about the outlook.

2) Get yourself a new ISP. If you're in a fixed term contract you'll probably have to use the VM complaints process (and almost certainly escalate for arbitration at CISAS ) to be released from contract without penalty. If you need to do this, the grounds of your complaint is the poor performance, and your request fro release from contract without penalty is twofold: First the Consumer Rights Act 2015 that requires any consumer service to be provided with "reasonable skill and care", and second, the Ofcom Fairness Commitments, that states Customers’ services work as promised, reliably over time. If things go wrong providers give a prompt response to fix problems and take appropriate action to help their customers, which may include providing compensation where relevant. If providers can’t fix problems with core services they have promised to deliver within a reasonable period, customers can walk away from their contract with no penalty.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Roland451
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

ping 

0 Kudos
Roland451
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Andruser

I'll call them today, and see if there is any fix coming to my area. Otherwise I'll have to get ADSL because there is no fiber yet and this is just not acceptable when you have 2 teenagers!

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I really can't stress enough that even if there's a fault reference and a fix date, all too often nothing is done.  If there isn't a fault reference it may be that VM have not yet even recognised the problem (in which case that alone could take months), or they've decided that irrespective of what your experience is, their standard of service is perfectly acceptable.

Read this for example.  By the (very protracted) end it sounds as though there's hope.  But as this follow up shows, perhaps misplaced hope. 

Or for a gaming user's experience read this.  Or somebody trying to use a VOIP telephone here.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos