Menu
axle_79
Joining in
Message 1 of 1
Flag for a moderator

Zwift not seeing other users

I'm running Zwift on a 100mb connection over wifi to a Hub3 which is no more than 4ft from the iPad.  In recent weeks I have been unable to see anyone else on Zwift, which really ruins the experience.  I have support tickets open with Zwift and Wattbike. But everything they say always comes back to 'it's your internet'.  I'd like to raise a support case with VirginMedia, I don't know if this forum is the official technical support or not. 

Anyway, I need help diagnosing the issue.  The Zwift FAQ is here; https://support.zwift.com/en_us/riders-disappearing-or-going-off-course-HJRjcp2GS

"If your Ping time is higher than 50ms, it’s likely you'll experience performance issues."

speedtest.net says my Ping (ICMP) time to Los Angeles is 147-178ms. 

This would appear to be a smoking gun. Ping is not affected by choosing different wireless speeds (2.4Ghz/5Ghz) but overall download speeds are.  I managed only 34mb on 2.4Ghz and 100mb on 5Ghz, sat in the same place at the same distance hitting the same server...ping unaffected.

How do I get my Ping time down?  I specifically need to connect to a service based in Los Angeles from London, UK.

Also how do I confirm that there's service block on say the UDP port Zwift uses?
"Your router firewall should allow all incoming/outgoing Zwift TCP traffic on ports 80 and 443 and all Zwift incoming UDP traffic on port 3022."

Other people on the Zwift forums have listed these ports; "tcp 80, 443, 3023, 21587 and udp 3022 open for Zwift" again I'd like to check there's no service block on any of these either.

TIA

Alex

Tags (4)
0 Kudos