cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yes, I`m from Wigan

LONETK
Tuning in

Can someone please report that the Wigan area is experiencing massive pings and packet loss.

I game with about 5 guys from Wigan and all are experiencing high pings and packet loss to the point that it`s unplayable but we ring virgin and it`s like a big shock and they know nothing about it.

It`s not just restricted to one game, it`s over all of them and has been happening for around 10 days but thought it would have been resolved by now.

Also, the packet loss is in sync, as in it happens at the same time to all of us.

Please Help!!!

6 REPLIES 6

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

This is known, has been reported to VM repeatedly, but as is sadly the case with networking problems the company's response is lethargic and unsatisfactory, with (as far as I know) no admission yet of the problem that's widely known, although we don't know how widely this is occurring across the Wigan area.  As for fix time and communication during any investigations....don't get your hopes up.  I'm sorry I can't be more constructive, but all you can do is wait and hope, there should be a fault reference already issued to somebody somewhere, and it should be under investigation.  

also from wigan, also having packet loss;

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/view/16e898533ad43bde187cc2e5f34d3f72f84...

Also happens at the same time to my wife on the same connection at the same time, so nothing to do with the machine - swap to a 4g EE mobile connection and its rock solid while the one on the VM connection drops out.

The engineer that came out on Wednesday said that a cab was hit by lightning 4-6 weeks ago, which coincides with the service becomming unfit for purpose in this area. So obviously they do know about it but they haven't fixed any of the issues down the lines that was a result of that.

whats our stance on not paying for broadband / cancelling contracts - how long does it have to go on for before that is an option?

I`m onto them now so will let you know.

I have 2 sons that both online game and both are using phones to tether and I`m paying £60+ a month for broadband that is essentially useless unless you`re watching Netflix or shopping Amazon

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@caloth whats our stance on not paying for broadband / cancelling contracts - how long does it have to go on for before that is an option?

Unfortunately this performance problem doesn't entitle you to stop paying (that's a very bad idea), and in terms of cancelling, it depends on how long the problem has been going on and how long since VM were notified by you (if somebody else tells them, that doesn't have a bearing on your rights).  Obviously if you're not in a discounted fixed term contract then you're free to issue 30 days notice now.  Faults do occur, VM can't fix damage instantly, so there's no case for compensation or release from contract for problems lasting a few days to perhaps a couple of weeks.

Whilst there's no specific definition of "reasonable", Ofcom codes state that you can leave any contract penalty free if VM won't resolve problems in a reasonable time scale, and the Consumer Rights Act says services must be provided with reasonable skill and care.  I'd suggest 3+ weeks stretches the definition of a reasonable time scale for a telecoms provider, but that's only my view.  VM will not want to lose customers, so you'd have to raise a formal complaint seeking compensation and the fault fixing by a given date, or release from contract without penalty if that applies, VM would reject that and you have to escalate to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS - all of which is slow, and would probably take longer than VM will to fix the fault.

So my thinking - ask for compo (and escalate) if the problem's lasted weeks after YOU notified it, otherwise sit it out.  In either case keep paying the bills.  But when your contract comes to an end, remember this, and take it into consideration as to your best option.

That ties in with photos I had taken (in Lowton, Wigan) of a thunder storm on 28th July. Incidentally, nearby Trafford General Hospital caught fire on same day due to lightning strike.

Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi all,

We are working on a fault in the Wigan area and the fault reference is F009263477.

Kind regards,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide