cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox speeds aren't going over 25mb with Hub 5

Dark_Soul_Rider
Tuning in

Hi

I've recently joined VM & I am having issues with my Xbox One over wi-fi connection. I have the 500mb package with the hub 5 but I am only receiving a download speed of 27mb max. I can't hardwire my Xbox to the router, as it's in a different room but I do pick up speeds of 300+ on devices that are in the same room as the Xbox

I did have the Xbox closer to the router for testing but it did only pick up 27mb while wireless but does pick up maximum speeds when hardwired. I have tried separating the 2.4 & 5 HZ channels to no avail

I would like to be able to use my Xbox properly. So if anyone could help, it would be appreciated. Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

Scotsdragon
Tuning in

are there alot of other routers around you?  to see what cahannels they are using you can use a laptop of pc with a wifi adapter

Search "CMD"  and type in "netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid" thjis will show you al lthe networks around you and what wifi channels they are using.

You can then log into your hub 5 and go into wifi and choose a different channel.

Dark_Soul_Rider
Tuning in

Thanks for the reply

Tried switching the channels but that only helped with the latency. Got much better but Still stuck on the download speed. Still topping at 25mb-ish

You have mentioned you have seperated the channels try changing the name of the 2.4 ghz and connecting to that see if it is that the 5ghz although stronger has a lower although you have stated that other devices get good speeds in the same room.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You have answered your own question. Use a wired connection, either cabled or worst case, use a Powerline adapter. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Dark_Soul_Rider
Tuning in

I did try both GHZ connections & they were both the same

A full wired connection isn't possible with where the router is, to where the Xbox is. The power line adapter is an option. I don't have one ATM until a buy one. Until then, I was seeing if there was a work around using the WiFi

Dark_Soul_Rider
Tuning in

Now my next question is, if I use a mesh powerline adapter. Is it best to use a wifi 6 adapter or does it not matter

Powerline uses your own copper internal wiring so it it doesnt use wifi yhey normally have a lan port