Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Xbox series s kicks me off Internet on ethernet

My xbox series s has been kicking me from xbox live and from the gears 5 servers on the ethernet but I've put it into WiFi and it seems to be working fine. Any ideas what's causing this and how to fix it? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Why does my xbox work on WiFi but not on ethernet.

My new xbox series s keeps getting disconnected from xbox live and the gears of war 5 servers then randomly getting reconnected. Tried it on the WiFi and it stays on without issue so far. I've read virgin media has difficulty with xbox but what's causing the actual issue? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why does my xbox work on WiFi but not on ethernet.

@NickWba20 Please don't create multiple threads for the same issue, it doesn't get your issue resolved any quicker and is against the forum rules.  I have merged your threads.

Is it only the Series X that is having Ethernet issues?  Have you tried a different Ethernet cable to rule out a faulty cable?

Where did you read that VM has difficulty with Xbox?  As far as Ethernet is concerned it should handle it the same way as any other wired device and if VM was having Xbox specific issue then I'd expect it to also impact wireless as the traffic goes via the same VM network.

I have seen reports that the new Xbox consoles have generated a lot of extra traffic for all ISPs and I'm sure Microsoft's servers and infrastructure were getting hammered at the start of the week.  That wouldn't explain why WiFi works and Ethernet doesn't in your case though.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yes I've tried a different ethernet and the problem persists. It works without issue on WiFi. My switch is now connected to the ethernet using the same cable my new xbox was using and its having no problems. My ps4 and my partners ps4 remain connected to the router without issue and when my Ps5 arrives next week I'll just swap my ps4 and Ps5 over using the same ethernet. I have no idea what's going on with the xbox on ethernet. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

A quick Goggle suggests you are not alone:

https://www.reddit.com/r/xbox/comments/js0ljm/xbox_series_x_wired_network_issues/

Sounds like Microsoft have some bugs to iron out.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi NickWba20,

Thanks for posting here.

I'm sorry you're been having some issues with your wired connection using your Xbox series s. 

Are you still having issues?

Have you looked at the thread provided by SCA1972? 

Let me know.

Thanks

Melissa

0 Kudos