Menu
Garfy81
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Xbox online gaming keeps signing out

Spoiler
I have just joined virgin and paying for 200Mbps. I left BT of 3 years and never had one problem with them on the xbox. Since I have moved to virgin my son complains every day that it keeps signing him out. The two games he plays are fortnite and fifa. A quick Google and there seems to be a common theme with virgin hub 3 and online gaming dating back more than 2 years but all my searches have been fruitless in the search of a solution. Virgin tech support (150) are useless. Worst tech support I have come across. My connection to the xbox is hardwired via a network switch. Same hardware and cabling i used with BT and never had a problem. I carried out several hard wired speed tests at the xbox and I am getting the correct speeds. Anyone any suggestions to stop this from happening other than going back to BT. I am at the end of my tether. 
0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Xbox online gaming keeps signing out

Try a test with the hub in modem mode and connect the Xbox direct to the hub. If this results in a stable connection then the issue lies with either the routing functions of the VM hub or your switch.  Use a process of elimination to work out which it is.

If things are not better in modem mode then there may be an issue with your connection.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Garfy81
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thats exactly my plan. Ordered a long ethernet cable. Due to arrive tomorrow. That will eliminate the network switch and existing wiring. 

I haven't tried changing it to modem mode yet. I am not overly familiar with router settings and what impact these changes will have and how easy it is to change back if things get worse. 

0 Kudos
Garfy81
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Wee update that might help others in the future. 

I connected xbox directly to the hub using long ethernet cable. Still dropping out and having issues. 

Virgin support are absolutely useless and all they wanted to talk about was why my WiFi was poor. They couldn't seem to understand that my hard wired connections were also poor. I raised a complaint on 12th December and still waiting on a call back 9th January 2021. The solution to every problem is switch off for varying durations and re-boot it. This is entirely unacceptable. It was obvious that unless I took this matter into my own hands it wasn't getting fixed.

I was still having some issues with ethernet connections directly in to the back of the hub. However I have discovered why my network switch won't work. My network switch is the tp link TL-SG108E. It turns out the IP address for this switch is the same as the IP address for the virgin hub. I changed the IP of the switch to a spare and added the router/hub address to the network switch gateway. This seems to have solved all problems so far. (Fingers crossed)

Time will tell if my ethernet connection is still dropping though. Today seems to have been reasonably stable. Just need the wee fella to game in anger on the xbox and pray it is resolved.

Hope this helps someone else if having problems with a network switch.

@Garfy81 wrote:

Thats exactly my plan. Ordered a long ethernet cable. Due to arrive tomorrow. That will eliminate the network switch and existing wiring. 

I haven't tried changing it to modem mode yet. I am not overly familiar with router settings and what impact these changes will have and how easy it is to change back if things get worse. 

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Garfy81 wrote:

Hope this helps someone else if having problems with a network switch.

Most network switches are unmanaged and won't have an IP address.  As yours is a managed switch, with the benefits that may bring, it also requires a bit more setup than an unmanaged one which is just plug and play.

If you are still having connection issues via Ethernet then post your hub stats and maybe it will show something untoward.

If you go to http://192.168.0.1/ (or http://192.168.100.1/ if you are in modem mode) to get the VM hub GUI. Don't login (unless this is your first visit to the hub GUI, which does require you to login) but instead click on Router Status which is a text link at the bottom of the screen. Click on the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log sections and copy & paste the figures from those screens and post them here, don't worry about the formatting or you can post screenshots if that is easier. If using screenshots be careful to edit out or obscure any reference to your WAN IP or MAC address in the log to protect your privacy.  If you copy and paste the log then the forum will automatically censor this sensitive information. Also note that images will take time to appear on the forum due to a combination of awaiting moderator approval and buggy code.

The community can have a look for you and see if anything in the figures looks wrong and advise accordingly.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Garfy81
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.

It's been more than 24hrs and I haven't had 1 Internet related complaint from the wife or the wee fella. I will leave everything as is for now and can investigate further if my I get any further complaints.