Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Xbox one disconnecting from WiFi

My Xbox one keeps disconnecting from my wireless WiFi , it connects for a varying amount of time then disconnects for a couple of minutes then connects back on , please help

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Xbox one disconnecting from WiFi

Hi, several things to look at.. 

1 what router is it?

2 how far is it? (you need to look at how many walls/floors it is between your xbox and the routers location

depending on your situation i would use powerline adapters so you dont use wireless if its that bad. I use them in some parts of my house and its worked fine!

some thing like this will work fine, depends if you need passthrough or not? Pass through is basically with or without a socket on the front so you can still use the power socket. It uses your electrical system to transmit the broadband signal from your router to the adapter you plug in some where else in the house! ideal for situations like yours. (also it has to be plugged into a wall socket and not an extension lead, using these on extension leads seriously reduces the speeds)  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA4010KIT-Powerline-Configuration-Required-UK/dp/B07J652QRY/ref=sr_1_1?d...

there are others depending on your budget.. just goto amazon and search "powerline adapters" and pick one 🙂

** ++ Superhub 3 (Modem Mode) - Vivid500 - Unifi USG - Unifi Access Points - HP Procurve 24 managed switch - Netgear GS108 Switches - FTP and Plex Servers - NAS Drives ++ **
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It’s the virgin media hub 3.0 , it’s literally 1 meter from the router, no matter how far away I am it still disconnects , my up speed and down speed are okay and it still disconnects with the Ethernet cable in , just not sure what it could be

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

And my Xbox one s connects fine but not my Xbox one original

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I don’t think it’s the internet or the Xbox , just seems like it kicks me out of the WiFi connection , I’m not sure if I have to ring virgin and see if they can open a port or something?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

ok, so if you are that close and its only that device that has an issue with an ethernet cable as well, then its a problem with either ports or the xbox itself. 

You can port forward yourself, you just need to google what ports you need to forward, then i would go into the router settings and reserve the I.P of the xbox so it always has the same IP number, then i would goto the port forward section and forward the needed ports to the reserved IP number. 

Its not really that hard to do, just ask on here if you get really stuck 🙂

** ++ Superhub 3 (Modem Mode) - Vivid500 - Unifi USG - Unifi Access Points - HP Procurve 24 managed switch - Netgear GS108 Switches - FTP and Plex Servers - NAS Drives ++ **
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

also it may be worth looking at what encryption you are using if its an older xbox. again I am not sure as I dont use an xbox but it may be worth checking what encryption you are using on the router, its possible if its a newer encryption its not compatible with the older xbox. I may be wrong but it can be an issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

apparently xbox one console supports WPA/WPA2 (personal), WPA2 (Personal), and WEP network security protocols

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Connect with a cable instead 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos