cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox mbps

NT17
Joining in

I have recently got the 1gig package and i also got some wifi pods. Now wifi from xbox to hub is giving me averag 250mbps which was expected but i put a pot close to the xbox in the open etc. And connected the pod and the xbox using a cat8 ethernet cable the speeds went up to 900mbps which gave me unbelievable online connections and games. But all of a sudden the games have been laggy and slow and the speed has went doqn to 80mbps and high latency as well whilst still connected to the pod. Is there any way to fix this or is just a technical issue on virgins equipment or service? 

10 REPLIES 10

Client62
Legend

Network cable connections that drop to "80mbps" are symptoms of an out of spec network cable that is being de-rated from 1000 to 100 Mb/s.

Try a new or different network cable.

If you get great speed with the VM Pod close to & cabled to the Xbox - try the Xbox over its own WiFi but with the VM Pod turned off, that may also work well.

Its the same results with a cat5e cable and cat6 cable. The speed i get with the pod off and xbox wifi to the hub is slightly better download speeds but once again latency is shocking and games tend to lag. Even so why would the pod co ne ted to the xbox by ethernet cable for about 4 or 5 days give me 800mbps+ and low latency to all of a sudden 80mbps and high latency? Makes no sense other than the wifi pods arent are useless 

Or the XBOX speed / latency test is very unreliable.

Does the XBOX have a web browser that could attempt this link :

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test begins click on: Run full test to see all the stats.

Yes and it says the exact same thing as the xbox speed test. The speed to router is 1150mbps and the speed to the xbox is 80mps connect by ethernet to the pod and 200mbps xbox wifi to the hub5. Im thinking i need to use the router in modem mode and just get my own router and wifi devices at this rate. 

"80mps connect by ethernet to the pod" - that continues to read like the connection is at 100Mb/s

For a WiFi Pod to be effective it is supposed to be placed half way between the Hub and the XBOX & used as a WiFi relay.

Using the WiFi pod close to the XBOX as an external WiFi adaptor is quite the wrong approach.

Shouldn't matter if im paying for high speed internet i should be getting high speed internet l. Also the pod was suggested by the VM tech team as a solution 

You are getting the correct speed at the Hub.

Failing to use the WiFi Pod correctly ( i.e. as a WiFi Repeater ) is clearly diminishing the performance, not sure how to put that more clearly.

The point being it worked fine for 4 days and now isnt working as it did to begin with. Ive used BTs equivalent of the pod and had not one si gle issue with their version being hooked up by cable. So goes to show that the virgin wifi pods are very sub par devices compared to BTs. 

The incorrect use of the VM Pod is degrading the network performance to the XBOX !

Until that is addressed, progress will not be made.

adios amigo