Menu
Dec1979
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

XBOX lag advice

Hi All,

So just spent last 30 mins reading all the posts, my lag is awful on Warzone and has been for a few months. Looks a similar story across all threads, i have M500 and download speeds of approx. In the house i have varying devices 2 laptops, 3 phones etc 14 in total. The last 6 months Virgin Media has been awful for gaming. I've called up a few times, but its pointless really, plug this out, reset etc..

I think the only option is switch ISP, but who would you recommend? Particularly for multiple devices and gaming?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Dec1979
Tuning in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: XBOX lag advice

Sorry anyone know a network that does not suffer from over subscription or will it be the same if I switch to any ISP? Thanks 

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

VM aren't the only network with problems, but they are the one having apparently persistent and widespread problems with upload speeds and latency, due to lockdown.  That's down to the technology that underlies cable internet, so there's a fair chance it will resolve when the world returns to some form of normality (meaning schools open, and a lot less working from home by office workers).

If you're not prepared to wait and hope, then performance of Openreach ISPs is generally better than a VM area suffering over-utilisation (many VM customers aren't affected - my area is performing normally), but it will be slower, and if the ISP has over-subscribed the backhaul capacity they've bought there can still be problems.  Expect the cheapskate ISPs like Talktalk or Voda to be suspects for that.  Openreach themselves are quite carefull to avoid over-subscribing their bit of the network, due to better regulation than VM, but that's not a guarantee.

If you are planning on leaving, I'd suggest you consider whether you want cheap and cheerless (C&C) which can often work out OK, so long as nothing goes wrong, or whether you'll pay a bit more for a different league to tech support and customer service.  If you want C&C, then Sky, Plusnet, Talktalk or Vodafone may have attractive deals, although they offer the same skanky offshore customer service as VM.  If you're willing to pay a few bob more a month, then your shortlist is AAISP, Aquiss, CIX, IDnet, uno, or Zen Internet.  All have UK customer support, an excellent reputation for support and service, and are far better than the big ISPs at getting the best out of Openreach.  They'll also have competent provisioning staff who can probably tell you whether there's any contention problems in your area, and what sort of speeds they can deliver.  I've had dealings with Zen, on behalf of elderly relatives, and I've always been impressed with their service.

At say £40 a month, and an 18 month contract from the C&C ISPs, probably 12 months with the smaller ones, you're thinking about a £500-700 commitment, so put as much effort into your research and thinking as if you were buying a similarly priced piece of equipment.  Make a shortlist of companies you'd consider, check out their customer reviews on Trustpilot and ISPReview, and choose whatever suits your budget and needs.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Super solver
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Are you wired or wireless ??

SH in router mode or modem mode ??

Have you run a Puma 6 test ??

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos