Menu
mattiaswrang
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Wirebound connection

Hi,

I currently have Virgin Broadband with WiFi setup. The hub is installed on the ground floor in the living room. I have a computer setup for playing games on the first floor, that I would like to get a wirebound connection to if possible. I wonder if there is any good solution for this? Setting up an Ethernet cable between the hub and the computer is not really feasible since they are quite far apart from each other on different floors.

Thanks/

Mattias

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wirebound connection

Hi Mattias

You could try using powerline adapters which use the electric wiring in your house to create a wired connection between power sockets.

More info and reviews of the best adapters can be found here:

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/best-powerline-adapters-3490638/

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
fuse01
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I have a lan cable running up my stairs in some external trunking, works great

0 Kudos
jem101
Superfast
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I'm afraid you really can't beat ethernet cable between the two devices. Powerline adapters can work, as mentioned above they basically piggyback a data stream on your existing mains wiring. However there are a couple of factor to consider. Ethernet cable is designed especially to carry high frequency signals without picking up interference, mains wire certainly isn't, the two floors will probably be on two separate electrical rings-that in itself can and does really reduce the speed and in some cases (depending on the fuse box and how it's all been connected up) prevent it from working at all. Lastly the whole thing is susceptible to interference generated by electrical equipment on your mains wiring which was never designed to cope with data. For example I briefly experimented with Powerline adapters between floors, they were rated at 500 Mb/s, I knew I was never going to get anywhere near that speed and indeed was lucky to get 40-50 Mb/s and then noticed that the connection collapsed completely every time the washing machine was used and went into it's spin cycle!

However there's no reason not to get a pair (as long as you can return them for a refund if not suitable) and just try it out for a few days. There are far too many variables to say whether they will work or not before trying. 

0 Kudos