Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Wifi connection to Xbox one

Spoiler
Hi, I'm hoping someone will be able to help. Last night my sons Xbox had a DDOS attack against it.

I've spoken to Xbox quite a lot and gone through all of their troubleshooting. Nothing has worked to reconnect my Wifi to the Xbox but I can connect his Xbox to a hotspot from my phone. I can also go onto the Xbox account from my laptop so the issue isn't that the account isn't accessible or that the Xbox isn't able to connect, it's that somehow it's blocking the connection from my router.

I have another child with another Xbox that is connected to the wifi with no problems.

Xbox suggested trying to create a static IP address for the Xbox but as I can't connect it to the Wifi I haven't been able to do that.

I'm awaiting a call back from Xbox tomorrow to see if there's anything else that can be done from their side but I wonder if there's anything that can be done from this side?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi connection to Xbox one

Hi.

When you say your son's Xbox had a DDoS attack against it, could you explain what happened please?

You also mention that the Xbox can't connect to wifi, but can connect to a hotspot on your phone. Can you tell me what happens when your son tries to connect to the home wifi? Is the Virgin Media network available? Does it give any error when it doesn't connect?

Also, as far as I know, the Xbox doesn't need an Xbox Live account to connect to the internet. The account is only for accessing XBox online gaming features so even if the account was blocked it should still connect.

Let me know if you've any questions.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi, of course. 

He was playing on Fortnite with some friends, one of them was bragging saying he could turn off other peoples internet and was going to turn my sons off. After that he was booted off and it came up saying he wasn't connected.

When the Xbox starts up or goes back to the home screen there is an error message saying the internet needs connecting. Yes it's Virgin and our Wifi is visible but when I put in the password in it just says it didn't connect check network and password and try again, it doesn't show an error there. 

It seems very strange I was also able to connect to a BTWifi-with-FON on the Xbox but it just won't connect to my home Wifi.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

It is possible that someone could have found an exploit that could kick people from fortnite, but it's thankfully very unlikely that could affect the network settings on the Xbox. I think this is probably just an unfortunate coincidence.

I have seen this problem mentioned with Xboxes, some solutions mention completely rebooting the Xbox. The instructions to do this are:

To reboot completely, turn off your Xbox by pressing the Xbox button on your console for 10 seconds. Next, unplug the console's power cable and wait 10 seconds. Plug the power cable back in and then press the Xbox button on your console to turn it back on.

Waiting with the power off for 10 seconds mightn't seem important but waiting makes sure that all power is discharged from the machine. Turning on before this can result in the Xbox not completely 'forgetting' anything that's causing a problem.

If that doesn't work you could try restarting the router, which can take nearly 5 minutes to come back on completely so make sure you warn everyone before 🙂

Lastly try taking the xbox as close as possible to the router and trying to connect.

Hopefully one of these will work. Let me know what happens.

0 Kudos