Menu
Wifibolloxs
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

WiFi coverage and XBox

Hi,

New to virgin broadband and have the 500 package. 
My son loves his Xbox and we found that the Ethernet through the TP link is slow (about 40 mbps - why?) so is on wifi and gets about 120 mbps but it drops out now and again. 
To stop me facing the wrath of a 13 yo what’s the best solutions? 
His bedroom is upstairs but it’s not an old or huge house by the way. 
cheers. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi coverage and XBox

What is the TP-Link?  Also cabled is the way to go for gaming, wifi is far too fickle and can be unreliable. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Wifibolloxs
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

TP link is where you have an Ethernet cable to a plug and the internet travels through the electricity wiring and then through a plug hard wired to the Xbox. 

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Wifibolloxs wrote:

New to virgin broadband and have the 500 package. 
My son loves his Xbox and we found that the Ethernet through the TP link is slow (about 40 mbps - why?) so is on wifi and gets about 120 mbps but it drops out now and again. 
To stop me facing the wrath of a 13 yo what’s the best solutions? 
His bedroom is upstairs but it’s not an old or huge house by the way. 
cheers. 

Using powerline adapters like the TP link is better than WiFi for stability, as you have discovered, but it is rarely great for speed.  You could try getting faster powerline adapters, but if it is the wiring in your house limiting the speed then you may still struggle with speeds.  Noise on your electrical circuit from other devices plugged in can slow your speed.  Mobile phone chargers are infamous for creating noise.

The best solution is to run an Ethernet cable from the hub to the Xbox.  Not always practical but it is the best solution.  The next best option, for stability, is what you already have with the TP link adapters with the inherent speed limitation, which upgraded adapters might mitigate slightly.

The size or age of your house is not really relevant as wireless signals are easily interfered with even over a short range.  With phones and tablets you rarely notice wireless issues as they are not as sensitive to lag or drop outs as a game console.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Wifibolloxs
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply. 

0 Kudos
SonarUK
Rising star
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

This is mostly for Wifi.

Disable Smart Wifi and rename/split the 2 wifi bands.
You can see a screenshot on how to setup the wireless settings on the thread below.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/FIX-FOR-PS4-LAG-SPIKES-WORKING-FOR-MANY/td-p/379...

https://twitter.com/SeriousFamily

Vivid 350 | Hub 3 modem mode | Asus RT-AC86U (Stock-Firmware)
Wifibolloxs
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. Will this improve the wifi for other devices? For example my iPhone sometimes but not often loses connection as does the Sonos speaker system.

0 Kudos
SonarUK
Rising star
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The above will not break your connection. In most cases it will help (your only naming the bands to get away from the auto/smart connect buggy thing).

All your devices will need to re-connect when you give each band there new name. add something like _2g _5g onto the names you give.

If the connection through wifi is still iffy you might want to think about a third party router and putting the hub into modem mode.

https://twitter.com/SeriousFamily

Vivid 350 | Hub 3 modem mode | Asus RT-AC86U (Stock-Firmware)
0 Kudos
Wifibolloxs
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. A bit shabby to say the least that the Hub 3 is not fit for purpose when my Sky router had coverage that had no issues. 
Do you recommend the Asus one at the bottom of your message? I know someone who bought the Netgear Nightgawk. 

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Wifibolloxs wrote:

Thanks. A bit shabby to say the least that the Hub 3 is not fit for purpose when my Sky router had coverage that had no issues. 
Do you recommend the Asus one at the bottom of your message? I know someone who bought the Netgear Nightgawk. 

If you still have your Sky router and it can operate as just a router (no ADSL modem stuff) then you could use that with the Hub 3 in modem mode.

0 Kudos