Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

WiFi Booster

Hi, will the WiFi booster be strong enough for me to run online gaming on my Xbox which is on the 3rd floor of my house , bearing in mind my router is on the ground floor ? Thanks in advance! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi Booster

That will depend on whether the two booster units have a good mains electrical connection, usually meaning they need to be on the same circuit.  All houses vary, so there's no way of telling.  Don't forget that for gaming "speed" in Mbps rarely matters, it is latency in milliseconds that count.  You're starting on the backfoot because all wifi connections add 7-30ms compared to an ethernet connection to the hub, and the hub has typical minimum latency of 19ms and spiking to 30ms even on a "good" cable connection.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply! My current latency on my Xbox is 33ms bearing in mind it’s a wireless connection, I also have a packet loss of 0% , is this good or ? Would you also recommend a wired internet connection using an Ethernet cable ? Hope you don’t mind me asking! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

33 ms is fine for gaming.  Anything under 60ms is not really significant given that your total human response to input "latency" is around 230-330ms.  And the very best gamers can manage on much worse connection latency than 60ms because they have strong predictive traits that work well for gaming.  

If you can get an ethernet connection between the gaming machine and the hub that's usually better than the variability of wifi,  But if that's across three floors, it might be a job and a half to rig up an ethernet connection that is secure and doesn't look a mess, and if you're doing that to shave 10ms off your ping, then to really benefit you'd need a gaming rig and monitor that can do 120 Hz refresh or faster.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

And packet loss: Zero is the number you want.  Even at very low levels of packet loss like 0.5% that'll destroy gaming and be starting to interfere with streaming.  .

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your help! 

0 Kudos