Menu
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 21 of 56
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why do my speeds suddenly dip

speedtest server isn;t the same as the CDN for the game.

Some server is slower than the other. pretty normal

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 22 of 56
Flag for a moderator

Server load where the game is coming from, as I mentioned previously I can never use all my available bandwidth to download a game through PS or Xbox this is because servers are sharing bandwidth with others downloading.

Speed tests don't mean the server you connect to will achieve the same speeds, 

Matt
If I've helped please let me know 🙂

10 years in Technical Customer Service, Construction Trades and Administration - Now I'm a Furloughed Chef
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 23 of 56
Flag for a moderator

I was half tempted to upgrade to gig 1 don't get me wrong 350 is great when the servers aren't overloaded with people and there's no caps on it but while there's all these restrictions and traffic on servers it seems rather pointless as I won't get the speeds or anything close to what I'm paying for. If at peak times it's displaying that I have 44 around tea time on 350 I imagine it would be around 200 or so on gig 1 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 24 of 56
Flag for a moderator

Right this is very odd. As soon as the clock strikes half 4 my speeds decline drastically no matter what surely this isn't due to the cap on the playstation servers as the download was just fine a moment ago. I've gone from downloading ratchet and clank in ten minutes to 2 hours. Absolute farce. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 25 of 56
Flag for a moderator

Well if your inplying Virgin Media are restricting your speed they state they don't do this in their Terms and Conditions and also under their Network Management policy.

As for upgrading to the Gigabit service, you could still see the same problems, I do!

Also if your saying that this issue happenes dead on 4:30 then I would say it is a restriction being put in place, most likely by Play Station (Sony) or their content or gaming networks, or even the Game Makers servers which might be where the games are coming from.

The only way to rule out Virgin Media is running tests using computer hard wired to the hub and running tests to check limitations.

Matt

10 years in Technical Customer Service, Construction Trades and Administration - Now I'm a Furloughed Chef
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 26 of 56
Flag for a moderator

Speeds seem to improve around 12 am and yes they are lowering to 45mb around half 4. Seems like a cap put in place by Sony during peak times. See I doubted they were doing this because surely that would mean capping their servers is a 24 hour operation but I don't think they would do that as people need their speeds back at certain times to get the downloads finished. Sounds like Sony and their cap to me especially based on your last message 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 27 of 56
Flag for a moderator

Did a speed test on the ps4 and directly into the router from a laptop today 

At 6pm I got 358mb download on the laptop

29mb on the ps4. 

This is ridiculous 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 28 of 56
Flag for a moderator

I guess the PlayStation is on WiFi? 

If so then you need to connect it using ethernet 

Matt

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 29 of 56
Flag for a moderator

No it's not. It's connected to the Internet via a cat 6 cable 3 meters away from the router. My speeds are all over the place still as soon as we hit the half 4 onwards stage of the day only improving back to regular around midnight. I have someone who is based in Liverpool affected by this aswell but someone 20 minutes away in Wolverhampton who isn't having such issues. What on earth is going on here? It's like being back with sky at the moment if not worse. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 30 of 56
Flag for a moderator

You need to contact playstation support then and see what they say, you've testes your connection som something there side is the issue.

Can you confirm the ISP's your friends are using 

Matt

0 Kudos