Menu
ravinestan
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media, you've ruined my New Years (Twitch)

My New Years Eve has been completely ruined. I had a big event planned with friends from all over the world via Twitch and to stream to all my friends and family especially during this Tier 4 London lockdown.

But unfortunately, you've messed it up again as you did last year, in fact, last year was worse, it persisted for over a months of packet loss and unbearable latency.

Why does your service falter so often? I can't deal with this anymore.

All the setting up I did in my place, cameras, decorations, gone to waste because you couldn't provide the service I am paying you for.

Image is my Twitch stream test results. They should all be 10,000+ with a quality of 80+ with my upload speed of 20mbps. You advertise high speeds but you cannot provide consistency.

Screenshot 2020-12-31 222210.png

You've somehow made a terrible year even worse. Congratulations.

I'm going to bed. 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media, you've ruined my New Years (Twitch)

and what speeds do you get on speetest.net
0 Kudos
ravinestan
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Speedtest is completely fine but also irrelevant when it comes to showing if the connection is stable. It only shows peak speeds. I can reach peak speeds which isn't a problem. The problem is the intermittent packet loss which makes things that require a stable connection such as gaming, streaming or video chat choppy and unusable.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

setup a BQM monitor and post the live link. that will show connection problems better
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

If I'm reading your image correctly, latency to most European servers  is excellent, it's only the London servers that have a latency problem, in which case it is a London server capacity or a traffic routing pinch point, and nothing to do with your connection, and not VM's fault at all.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
iiNSaNe93
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I'm having the same issue as the OP. Speedtest and images like posted in the original post seem fine on the latency end. But as soon as you get into a game or stream, the upload is so low and unstable and with the packet loss, that seems to make the ping spike from say 20 up to 1000+ every few seconds or so.

Does this sound similar to your issue OP?

My Broadband Ping - Virgin M350
0 Kudos
ravinestan
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Yes this is the issue, latency looks fine but the flutter is insane. It’s not stable at all. Also look at the upload speed to the servers. To stream even at 1280 x 720, you need around 3000kbps. It barely hits half of that. On a normal day, they should all be around 8000+. Quality rating indicates speed and ping variation and they’re all 0. It should be 80+ to stream. 

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Setup a BQM, that'll show what's going on with your VM connection.  Post a link to a live, shared graph here and we'll see what's happening.  Usually needs to run for 24 hours before we can draw reasonable conclusions, but the live graph will continuoulsy update so you can do that immediately.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
iiNSaNe93
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Would you mind if I post mine here as I’m having similar issues?

0 Kudos
iiNSaNe93
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/6160fedf62de67952f61b75a0a03033920cf9fda

0 Kudos