Menu
Stesmith92
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Gig1 Fibre using a new router would this help my ping?

Hi, 

I’m just wondering if getting a new router with my Virgin Gig1 internet would help me get better ping results if I put it into modern mode? 

Has anyone done this & received better results let me know. I currently receive on Xbox 25 ping MS

0 Kudos
risc19
Well-informed
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Gig1 Fibre using a new router would this help my ping?

Nope it wont.

Switching to a better ISP would.

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Lagfest Modem Mode
0 Kudos
RedGooner
Super solver
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It depends on your area.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS GT-AX6000 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos
hortonj88
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

25 ms is normal for DOCSIS based Cable internet.

The only way you'll get lower is if you swap to an Openreach ISP or an alternative full Fibre provider like Hyperoptic or Cityfibre.

And those altnets aren't widely available.

Previously M200 (Left due to utilisation)

Now: BT FTTP 900/110 connected an ASUS RT-AC86U router.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/12098955842.png
0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Morning @Stesmith92

Welcome to our Community - we can see that you already have a similar post open so please do pop back there if you still need assistance; I have linked the thread below for you:

Stesmith92 - PING and WiFi

In regard to your Ping at around 25; that is actually a very good test result. Anything between 20 - 100 would give you a good gaming experience. Anything over 150 would be deemed as High Ping.

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
lordoftime79
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I see you all complain and having a dig at virgin broadband when the fact of the matter is its the best there is in my area - take it from somebody comming off vodafone home broadband with stats of 30mb down when it should have been 80 and a ping that never went below 80!

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You wouldn't even perceive a 25ms ping.  That's twenty five thousandths of a second, and the lumbering human response time to a screen input is ten times greater than that, even the blink of an eye is 150ms.  But the 25ms reported is possibly an average figure.  If you're having problems with ping, then it may be that the peak latency is causing problems.

Setup a BQM over at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality that'll show what's going on with your VM connection.  Post a LINK to a LIVE, SHARED graph here and we'll see what's happening.  Usually needs to run for 24 hours before we can draw reasonable conclusions, but the live graph will continuously update so you can post the link immediately. 

If that comes back nice and clean, then VM are in the clear, and any problems are your equipment, or your perception.  If it comes back all nasty, we can suggest further checks to make.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos