cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very high latency, packet loss, and ping spikes throughout the day

AlfieJPalmer
On our wavelength

Hi Virgin Media,

Over the past couple of months I've been experiencing extremely high latency, packet loss, and ping spikes throughout the day. The download/upload speed seems to be fine, but the ping makes online gaming near impossible. I've tried resetting my router and modem, as well as changing router but no luck.

Here are some screenshots from thinkbroadband over the past week:

Saturday 07/02/2020Saturday 07/02/2020Sunday 08/02/2020Sunday 08/02/2020Monday 09/02/2020Monday 09/02/2020Tuesday 10/02/2020Tuesday 10/02/2020Wednesday 11/02/2020Wednesday 11/02/2020Thursday 12/02/2020Thursday 12/02/2020Friday 13/02/2020Friday 13/02/2020Sunday 14/02/2020Sunday 14/02/2020

Please could you advise on the matter?

Thank you in advance, I look forward to hearing from you.

Alfie J.

119 REPLIES 119

Hi Jodi,

The technician came out and noticed a lot of noise on the line, which he has since corrected and changed the routing around. He was confident it would fix the issue, but unfortunately it still persists (and he observed this by looking at some pings/diagnostics from my machine). He suggested that he would book a second-line engineer to see if someone more familiar with the matter could help diagnose it. The downstream power values have also been corrected as suggested on this post.

Apparently this could be down to a utilisation issue, though I'm not entirely sure what that means.

Any advice you have in the meantime would be fantastic.

Thank you very much for your help so far.

Kind Regards,

Alfie J.

We have now had the 2 sets of technicians out to take a look at our connection. The first cleared some noise from the line, and changed some cabling in the junction box. The second two replaced an internal cable, and external connection which was suffering from corrosion. 

I regret to inform you that unfortunately we are still seeing issues as you can see by the graph I've attached below from the ping samples taken yesterday:

Yesterday.PNG

What firmware is your hub 3 on? as that could be the problem

---------------------------------------------------------------

Standard specification compliant: DOCSIS 3.0
Hardware version: 10
Software version: 9.1.1811.401

Post your downstream power levels again....

Your issue and whats happen'd is exactly whats happen'd to me, ping/latency issues, 2 techs came out and did the same fix up on the property and told me no issues at all but guess what my issues still exist. From people asking for hub info to forum mods saying they don't see any issues from their end. (I don't blame these people but its becoming the same ol song and dance for many people) I just want an admission of a bigger fault and time/date of a fix. (if any)

Hi Kippies,

Here's a shot of my downstream power levels again:

DSPower 20200324.PNG

TBF engineer has done their job, downstreams in spec and post RS have cleared up to nothing.

Latency on the BQM is still woeful, though.

Could be the effect of everyone at home, staff should be along and check utilisation levels soonish.

Thanks for getting back to me, Kippies. I just wanted to point out that this has been going on for a lot longer than the previous week or so - it started a long time before everyone was at home.

hkem
On our wavelength

I have the same issues, been getting worse .. now gaming unusable. I am convinced it is since all the heavy rain, and local cabling in the street is at fault, but I can't contact any engineers now that call centres appear to be unmanned. How can I contact engineering to see if they are still working?