Menu
ItzNicks
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Valorant ping spiking up at around 8pm?

Hello everyone,

My valorant ping has been spiking up at around 7pm everyday and goes back to normal at around 12. I also have a few friends that have been in the same situation, the ping goes up to around 100-300 ping which is awful to play in a competitive shooter game especially valorant. I'll let you know that this happens in some servers but on different games the ping varies (due to different servers on rust).

The ping spike has happened later today (this day i posted this thread) and not sure when it will go back to normal. Wi-Fi speeds also are impacted by this by around 50mbps.

Is there anyone else out there with the same problem or know how to fix this? I tried to update network drivers and all the basics with restarting my router and such but there isn't any solutions.

Thanks,

Nick

Enclosed is my thinkbroadband  ping for one day. 

ItzNicks_0-1618175259304.png

DanKelly_
Joining in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Valorant ping spiking up at around 8pm?

I seen a large spike in latency at about 7:30. Based in NI.

902CBB0C-0421-4954-849F-265DB9355B22.png

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@ItzNicks I'm afraid that the BQM is (with 95% certainty) showing downstream over-utilisation, which in simple terms is too many customers connected to VM's network around you, and when evening comes, everybody's downloading, streaming or gaming, and that data traffic exceeds available capacity.  At the level indicated it is possible that VM may not even formally recognise the problem as there is a threshold (that they don't publicly disclose) but it seems that threshold is well above the level at which gamers notice problems.

There is a chance that things will improve when lockdown restrictions are lifted for all hospitality, gyms and entertainment, the weather improves and people can (and do) go and do alternative things to sitting in front of computers, tablets or the TV, but there's no certainty on that.  Pre-covid, some over-utilisation problems went on for years.  In some areas VM undertake work to rejig the local networks to balance loads and eliminate over-utilisation. But sometimes that's either not possible, or judged uneconomic if there's a need to spend money on more equipment, and the (by VM standards) modest nature of the problem in your BQM means I'd be very surprised if they'd spend money to fix that.  And even if there is a fault reference and a "fix date", there's no way of knowing if that fix date is actually backed by an actual plan of action and programme of works. Quite often it seem not, and as the fix date approaches it is simply moved a month or two ahead.

Your options:

1) Sit it out, and hope that either VM do carry out improvement works (unlikely) or that it resolves itself post-lockdown. There's nothing you can do to force VM to upgrade the network, nor to offer an accurate fix date, so a formal complaint won't achieve much.  However, this may be the most practical, and you review the situation in a few weeks, and only then consider the next two options.

2) Get yourself a new ISP. If you're in a fixed term contract, and you are the contract holder, you'll probably have to use the VM complaints process (and potentially escalate for arbitration at CISAS) to be released from contract without penalty. That can be very slow, and only works if you've got a credible alternative ISP option.  If you need to do this, the grounds of your complaint is the poor performance, and your request for release from contract without penalty is twofold: First the Consumer Rights Act 2015 that requires any consumer service to be provided with "reasonable skill and care", and second, the Ofcom Fairness Commitments, that states "Customers’ services work as promised, reliably over time. If things go wrong providers give a prompt response to fix problems and take appropriate action to help their customers, which may include providing compensation where relevant. If providers can’t fix problems with core services they have promised to deliver within a reasonable period, customers can walk away from their contract with no penalty."  If you do complain in this way, make sure that you ask VM to issue a "deadlock letter" if they refuse to allow you to leave without penalty, because otherwise you'll have to wait eight weeks before taking the matter to CISAS.  Bear in mind that is all a lot of hassle, you might be peeved if you went down this route now, lockdown ended and the original problem went away just as your new slower connection were installed.

3) And if you're not the contract holder, and they don't see a problem, then you're stuffed.  Your only option then would be if you can lay in a circa £23 a month 35 Mbps Openreach connection purely for gaming purposes.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@DanKelly_ Your BQM doesn't show a utilisation problem, looks like a noise or power issue.  Start your own thread if it persists as it is very difficult to address two different users with different problems in the same thread.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
DanKelly_
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Andruser. Will do when I get the two days BQM.

0 Kudos
ItzNicks
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'll wait until this lockdown is over and then think about my next steps as northern ireland lockdown has been eased a little today.
I thought it was pretty weird for the ping to be spiking up to the 200ms or 300ms recently.

But thank you for your reply and greatly appriciated,
Nick
0 Kudos