Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

VM server lag

Hi

gaming is awful is this the reason? ping to bbc.co.uk, see hop 3 and hop 5.

42EC4F14-EECB-484F-9586-25B1B0586BC5.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM server lag

E42F5634-CCA4-4C20-8303-5E30571725AA.jpeg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Head over to Thinkbroadband.com create an account and setup a Broadband Quality Monitor.  It'll take 24 hours to give useful information, but that will give a time-series presentation of the latency of your connection.  When you've got a 24 hour plot, select the option to "share" the chart, generate a snapshot and post the link (not an image) here.  We can then see what is going on.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Thanks, I have a BQM running see below. Looks ok doesn’t it? But there was definitely a problem shown in the ping plotter app during yesterday.

My Broadband Ping - Modem

609EA7B1-E527-47EC-B3F7-AEF39A2BE1D9.png
the speed is also down from my usual 380/36 down/up and jitter is a little high. Yes this is WiFi on 5ghz only within 1m of the router.

id appreciate any insights as this is a new VM router changed only last week.

thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

BQM looks OK-ish.  The shape of the yellow across the day is a clear hint that the local network is approaching capacity, and although this isn't (yet?) an over-utilised network, the fact that there is little or no spare capacity through the day and evening would explain the occasional high spikes.  Things might improve when the country finally gets back to some state of normality, and that's your best hope, because VM wouldn't act to try and improve the network based on what we've seen from your hub's data and the BQM.  Marginal over-subscription is uneconomic to fix, and even if it were viable there's many areas where VM have far more pressing capacity problems that would take priority for years to come.

If you want a better gaming connection, then (so long as the local Openreach network isn't over-subscribed) that would be the only real option.  This is what a clean Openreach BQM looks like.  Obviously you'd need to consider the (usually) lower speeds that you'd have via Openreach, whether you're in a fixed term contract, and whether there's any "ties" like a very long standing email address, or TV content that you couldn't get elsewhere.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks