Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Upload throttled!!

Im on 200/20 package and via normal TCP web page speed test I usually get 219/21.5.  Frustratingly this does seem to drop during peak hours (even though Virgin insists it does not throttle).. The big issue is via PSN my upload speed is permantently being throttled to 2mb Upload.and will not surpass that although it was c. 20mb when I first logged in and tested a week ago. Download is 190mb psn which is reflective on speed expected.

Why am i being throttled to 10% upload on the psn traffic type!?  This is unacceptable, not what I'm paying for and very disappointing of Virgin Media.

(pls no replies insinutating psn speed test is unrelaiable.. please read above- as a week ago when first fired up the console it showed much higher upload) thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Wise owl
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upload throttled!!

Why are you sure the throttle isn't happening at the PSN end?

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@DonnieJ81 Take a look at my post where I showed that the PSN speed test does not reflect the speeds that my connection or the PS4 is capable of:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/PS4-PRO-low-upload-speed-VM-HUB-DUPLEX-ISSU...

All my recent PSN speed tests are much lower than they were in the past, so my guess is the Sony servers can't cope with the increased demand of late.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I’ve noticed every day from about 4pm to 10.30pm the p2p traffic is throttled and performance is really poor.. how can this be overcome and restrictions removed?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

What you seem to be describing is over utilisation in your area which would affect you most during peak hours, VM don't throttle on their packages and haven't done for a long time

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I don't know, something has changed, because for the last 4 weeks I've had my uploads throttled at 5mbps. (down is a consistent 50, which is what the package im on states, so that's great) 

Obviously, given the circumstances there is no one to call, and no options to look into what is going on. I was actually going to upgrade my package, but I can't do that either. I can't actually find anything on the webportal about my min. speeds any more. Maybe its cabin fever, but I swear I used to be able to see what speeds I was promised. 

Any ideas on this guys? Why my upload speeds won't go faster than 5mbps?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Wise owl
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@lonebb  It gets confusing when someone jumps into an existing thread, but in your case what upload do you expect to get? The 50Mb service is a very old one and I thought it has been upgraded to 100Mb, but isn't the upload speed set at 6Mb anyway? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You mean it started around the time people were advised to stay at home and more people in any given area were likely to be online? 😛

Areas that are over utilized are going to be a lot more apparent right now as record numbers of people are having to use things like video streaming services for school or remote connections for work, nothing will have "changed" other than there being more people online than VM would have normally expected when they sold subscriptions to people who live in the same area as you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello folks,

I'm yet another customers that is experiencing the exact same issue (upload speed deteriorates to 1mbps during working hours M-F 9-6pm since lockdown). 

I have also arrived at the conclusion that it is congestion to be blamed and VM could not have predicted the upload demand when they sold all the packages.

I'd like to know if VM is actively working on a solution: 1) upgrade their upload capacity; 2) refund customers for poorer performance.

As my contract is up, I'm coming to the point of cancelling my VM subscription and moving on to BT as I cannot have a VC call with 1mbps upload speed.

0 Kudos