Menu
tjmorris998
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Upgraded to M500 in an attempt to improve latency ... Still no better

Hi VM community,

I have been a VM customer for over 8 years through numerous properties. Download and upload speeds are fine but its the ping and latency jitter is driving me nuts.

As a casual gamer i only have 2 hours a day to play video games which are typically at peak traffic times :(. The jitter means playing games is unbearable and I have upgraded to M500 as a last ditch attempt to save my sanity.

Couple of added details...

• PS4 slim and PC are all connected via ethernet.

• I have even removed every device off the network to play games to see if the situation improves which it doesn't.

• I have reset the router multiple times

• I have even changed the DNS settings on the PS4 to see if that improves but seems to not have an effect on latency, only on down and up speeds.

• I am on a road that is heavily subscribed to VM (80%),

Based on the above, is it time to make the jump to BT or SKY in the hope the service is better from a latency perspective or am i just in a doomed property?

Below is a pretty standard day on the BQM...

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/5368cb18a39e28f8579d5b3bc92918f5eb...

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Upgraded to M500 in an attempt to improve latency ... Still no better

I regret to advise that if you upgraded to a higher speed tier because of poor latency, you've made three mistakes.

The first is that higher speed (bandwidth) has zero effect on latency.  Gaming uses about 2.5 Mbps, so even VM's slowest speed of 100 Mbps is vast overkill.

The second is that you're now in a new 18 month contract, and (unless it's within 14 days and you cancel the upgrade) then you're stuck with it or you'll have to pay an early exit penalty which I think VM cap at "only" £250.

The third is that (based on my reading of the BQM) your problem isn't unique to your line, it's an area problem of over-utilisation.  If my well founded suspicion is correct, then basically VM have too much traffic for the local network capacity, and the long history of these is that they aren't fixed quickly.   Arguably it was mis-selling if they sold a faster line when the local network is already constrained.  There is a good reason to hope that when your area is upgraded to the standard to support 1 Gbps, then congestion will be progressively reduced - but that might not be until the end of next year, and that's a long time to wait.  In the meanwhile, the chances of getting accurate and truthful information from VM about fix dates for over-utilisation are close to zero - there's a habit of setting a fix date of next month, and then as that approaches shifting it another month forward (and repeat, ad-nauseum).

If you're outside your 14 day cancellation window, you could raise a formal complaint with VM about latency, demand that they resolve the problem or release you from contract without penalty since they would/should have known about performance issues before selling you an even faster package that doesn't meet your needs.  Make it clear that unless the concede to this penalty free release, you will escalate to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS at the earliest opportunity, and expect that you will need to complain to CISAS.

If you want to and can/do get out of the VM contract, **bleep** don't go with shysters like Sky or Talktalk.  They're about the same standard as VM.  BT at least have all customer contact from UK call centres, but it's still the sort of low cost, mass market customer service you'd expect from a big corporation.  I'd say go with a smaller customer focused ISP who have a reputation for good customer service and who (unlike the Skys of this world) know how to get the best out of Openreach.  Companies named on the right hand side of this page.  They won't have the same glitzy marketing as Sky, VM, Vodafone, on the other hand they employ UK staff who understand the technology they are dealing with.  And they won't have the low introductory prices of the big ISPs, equally they won't double their price when the discount ends. 

Before you sign with any new ISP, check out their customer feedback on Trustpilot and ISPReview.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
tjmorris998
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andruser,

Thanks for the reply and I had a feeling the over utilisation of the network may of been the problem. Good news I am still in the first 14 days of contract so can easily back out.

I am aware of the smaller players in the market such as Zen, Hypernotic, etc. Zen are on my shortlist but apparently they are a pain to get in touch with. Hypernotic aren't in my area :(. My worry with going with a Openreach player is 9/10 the problem is out of their control and they are waiting for Openreach to fix the problem hence why I have been umming and arrring over BT.

Thanks for the recommendations!

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

"Zen are on my shortlist but apparently they are a pain to get in touch with"

I support an elderly relative's IT needs, and I arranged Zen as their ISP, and sorted out a subsequent Openreach issue and some change of account matters, so I've spoken with their sales, provisioning, customer service and tech support people.  They've been brilliant, easy to get hold of (admittedly pre-Covid), and Zen will be on my shortlist if I leave VM.  But why take my word for it, try phoning (eg) their sales or provisioning teams, whose numbers are on their website, and ask about availability, speeds, lead times if you were to join Zen.  Commits you to nothing, but an opportunity to test the water a little bit. 

Amongst the people I regard as tech experts, there's no question that AAISP are top dog for support, even ahead of Zen, but I've no personal experience of them.  And there's the others to check out.  Zen offer the familiar "all you can eat data and a free hub", some of the others are different - eg AAISP's tiered pricing depending on data usage (although most of us would be fine with their lower tier), or Aquiss who (last time I looked) expected customers to sort out their own hub.  But all of this select group of smaller ISPs have got good customer ratings for a reason.    

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
tjmorris998
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again Andruser, one last qq. If it terminate the contract in the 14 days grace period. Do I revert back to my old contract that expires in November or would I need to find a new ISP at the end of that 14 day grace period?

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Short answer, no idea.  Phone up and see what happens, report back here if it's a problem.  My guess is that it's back to your old contract expiring November.