Menu
Reply
mgwhitter
  • 10
  • 0
  • 0
Tuning in
541 Views
Message 1 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Upgraded to Hub4 1gb

Hi 

New here. Just upgraded my broadband deal from the 200mb on the HUB3 to the 1gb on HUB4 purely hoping i will get better connections gaming.

Since the install i have done various speed test and i dont seem to be getting anywhere near even 500mb. Does the upgrade take time to get going or am i missing something here?

Any help will be appreciated.

 

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Reply
Sabtain7
  • 95
  • 5
  • 10
Up to speed
477 Views
Message 2 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgraded to Hub4 1gb

1st to make sure your new hub is activated and then you will need to wait around five days for the new connection to stabilise and if you are still having problems after then I would contact virgin media


If I Have Tried To Help You Hope It Helps:
I am fairly knowledgeable about technology in general and will try to help you to the best of my ability.

Sky World Customer (TV), Virgin Media Fibre Optic Gig1; Virgin Media Phone Package

Want To Contact Virgin Media's UK Call Centre?
Here's How:
STEP 1: Dial 150 (Virgin Landline) or 0345 454 1111 (Non Virgin Phone)
STEP 2: Option 1 for TV, Broadband or Home Phone

STEP 3: If The Number You Are Calling From Belongs To Your Virgin Media Account Select Option 1 If Not 2 (then enter the Virgin Media Home Number or press # then tap in Virgin Media Account Number
STEP 4: Select Option 4 - To Make Changes To Your Package Or Tell Us You Are Moving
STEP 5: Select Option 4 - If You Are Thinking Of Leaving Us
STEP 6: Select Option 2 - If You Are Thinking Of Leaving Us For Any Other Reason

UK Call Centre Times:
Mon - Fri 8am - 9pm
Sat - Sun - 9am - 6pm
0 Kudos
Reply
conman33158
  • 723
  • 66
  • 95
Superfast
474 Views
Message 3 of 28
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Upgraded to Hub4 1gb


@mgwhitter wrote:

Hi 

New here. Just upgraded my broadband deal from the 200mb on the HUB3 to the 1gb on HUB4 purely hoping i will get better connections gaming.

Since the install i have done various speed test and i dont seem to be getting anywhere near even 500mb. Does the upgrade take time to get going or am i missing something here?

Any help will be appreciated.

 

Thanks


What speed do you get on https://samknows.com/realspeed/ with direct wired connection from PC/Laptop to router using a Cat 5e cable or better with a 1Gbps capable Ethernet network card?

  1. Make sure the cable is Cat 5e or better
  2. Make sure your PC/laptop has a 1Gbps or better network card
  3. Make sure Hub is in router mode
  4. Disconnect all other Ethernet cables when running the test
***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos
Reply
-tony-
  • 15.96K
  • 1.26K
  • 3.75K
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
464 Views
Message 4 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgraded to Hub4 1gb


@Sabtain7 wrote:

1st to make sure your new hub is activated and then you will need to wait around five days for the new connection to stabilise and if you are still having problems after then I would contact virgin media


the new hub must be activated otherwise the OP would have no internet - so wrong on that

and wait 5 days for it to stabilise - again wrong - this is not BT or any of the openreach variants - VM speed is instant so assuming the OP is testing wired then there looks to be a problem

again to th OP post the upstream and downstream levels and confirm the speedtests are wired

____________________

Tony
Sabtain7
  • 95
  • 5
  • 10
Up to speed
455 Views
Message 5 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgraded to Hub4 1gb


@-tony- wrote:

@Sabtain7 wrote:

1st to make sure your new hub is activated and then you will need to wait around five days for the new connection to stabilise and if you are still having problems after then I would contact virgin media


the new hub must be activated otherwise the OP would have no internet - so wrong on that

and wait 5 days for it to stabilise - again wrong - this is not BT or any of the openreach variants - VM speed is instant so assuming the OP is testing wired then there looks to be a problem

again to th OP post the upstream and downstream levels and confirm the speedtests are wired




get your facts straight, when I got the hub 4 it worked but I was only getting my old package speed. After contacting virgin media I was told the hub was activated partially thus I was not getting my new package speed.

I had issues with my hub 4 powering off randomly and I was reviving poor speeds hardwired even though they couldn’t see any fault so Virgin media’s hub 4 team sent me a new one last week and I was told by them that it can take up to 5 days for the new router to stabilise - their words not mine. And so this is why I gave the advice I did


If I Have Tried To Help You Hope It Helps:
I am fairly knowledgeable about technology in general and will try to help you to the best of my ability.

Sky World Customer (TV), Virgin Media Fibre Optic Gig1; Virgin Media Phone Package

Want To Contact Virgin Media's UK Call Centre?
Here's How:
STEP 1: Dial 150 (Virgin Landline) or 0345 454 1111 (Non Virgin Phone)
STEP 2: Option 1 for TV, Broadband or Home Phone

STEP 3: If The Number You Are Calling From Belongs To Your Virgin Media Account Select Option 1 If Not 2 (then enter the Virgin Media Home Number or press # then tap in Virgin Media Account Number
STEP 4: Select Option 4 - To Make Changes To Your Package Or Tell Us You Are Moving
STEP 5: Select Option 4 - If You Are Thinking Of Leaving Us
STEP 6: Select Option 2 - If You Are Thinking Of Leaving Us For Any Other Reason

UK Call Centre Times:
Mon - Fri 8am - 9pm
Sat - Sun - 9am - 6pm
0 Kudos
Reply
-tony-
  • 15.96K
  • 1.26K
  • 3.75K
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
442 Views
Message 6 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgraded to Hub4 1gb


@Sabtain7 wrote:

@-tony- wrote:

@Sabtain7 wrote:

1st to make sure your new hub is activated and then you will need to wait around five days for the new connection to stabilise and if you are still having problems after then I would contact virgin media


the new hub must be activated otherwise the OP would have no internet - so wrong on that

and wait 5 days for it to stabilise - again wrong - this is not BT or any of the openreach variants - VM speed is instant so assuming the OP is testing wired then there looks to be a problem

again to th OP post the upstream and downstream levels and confirm the speedtests are wired




get your facts straight, when I got the hub 4 it worked but I was only getting my old package speed. After contacting virgin media I was told the hub was activated partially thus I was not getting my new package speed.

I had issues with my hub 4 powering off randomly and I was reviving poor speeds hardwired even though they couldn’t see any fault so Virgin media’s hub 4 team sent me a new one last week and I was told by them that it can take up to 5 days for the new router to stabilise - their words not mine. And so this is why I gave the advice I did


whatever they say - all sounds like BS to me - not from you as i accept you are quoting what CS have said but since when do we take what they say as gospel

i have no idea if its possible to partially activate a hub - all i can say is that after all the years on here thats a first  - if you were getting your old speed my guess is the new config had not been sent

the second part is pure fantasy from CS - 5 minutes or 5 days - rubbish - if the levels are correct the speed is there - there is no learning 

we can agree to differ or accept VM customer service is suspect at best

____________________

Tony
mgwhitter
  • 10
  • 0
  • 0
Tuning in
427 Views
Message 7 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgraded to Hub4 1gb

Hi 

thanks for the response. so i have checked and

1. my ethernet cable is CAT 7 i believe, just checked on amazon where i ordered it from.

2. How do i find out if the laptop has 1gbps network card?

3. how do i set the hub to router mode?

The most speed i have been able to test so far on all my devices, including the ipad, my iphone 12 pro, the ps4 and both my personal and work laptop is 480mb.

Really appreciate your help on this.

0 Kudos
Reply
mgwhitter
  • 10
  • 0
  • 0
Tuning in
426 Views
Message 8 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgraded to Hub4 1gb

i had this installed on tuesday just gone so roughly 4 days ago.i got a message from virgin media to confirm the new services is activated the night i set it up so not sure.

0 Kudos
Reply
mgwhitter
  • 10
  • 0
  • 0
Tuning in
418 Views
Message 9 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgraded to Hub4 1gb

Hi

thanks for the response. so i have checked and

1. my ethernet cable is CAT 7 i believe, just checked on amazon where i ordered it from.

2. How do i find out if the laptop has 1gbps network card?

3. how do i set the hub to router mode?

The most speed i have been able to test so far on all my devices, including the ipad, my iphone 12 pro, the ps4 and both my personal and work laptop is 480mb.

Really appreciate your help on this.
0 Kudos
Reply
conman33158
  • 723
  • 66
  • 95
Superfast
400 Views
Message 10 of 28
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Upgraded to Hub4 1gb

Wireless and game consoles are not valid tests. If you are using the Hub on it's own with no other router I'm guessing it in router mode already 🙂

Assuming you are using windows 10 can you type in "View network connections" in your search bar bottom left, then right click your Ethernet connection and select "Status" What does it say for speed? Should read 1Gbps or better?

 

Also, if you done the speed on https://samknows.com/realspeed/ what is the speed coming into the router?

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos
Reply