cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unusable for gaming

marcdarlo
Tuning in

Hi my broadband is unusable for gaming after 6pm please see attached graph this seems to be a common theme looking at other posts

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/f5cb02128ee5029e44ae24f077c52f91834507e5-03-05-2022
21 REPLIES 21

joek66
On our wavelength

A third party router will not offer any benefits to someone connecting directly by ethernet, since a third party router connects to the hub via ethernet anyway. If anything it could make things slightly slower, since you're adding an extra device into the connection between the WAN and the device (e.g. a PC). 

If you're talking wireless, that's totally different and I agree I'm sure users can gain various benefits over an ISP-issued hub.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@joek66 wrote:

A third party router will not offer any benefits to someone connecting directly by ethernet, since a third party router connects to the hub via ethernet anyway. <snip>

You are missing the point.  A third party router will perform better than an ISP router.  The Hub in modem mode does nothing, it only bridges the connection out to the VM CMTS.   Let's not labour the point, and agree to disagree.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Lets put it an easy way.

The SH has 1 processor in it, and it does the connection to VM, then it does all your Wifi / Ethernet in your house.

When you go modem mode, the SH still has the same processor, but all it does is connect to VM, the extra Router also has a 1 Processor in it, this controls all the Wifi / Ethernet in your house. So your adding an extra processor to your setup. 2 processor are better than one.

Plus you will find all the latest Routers will have a lot faster processor in it, the SH will ever have.

Also the SH3 / SH4 have the dreaded intel Puma chipset in them. This has been an issue for many years, since intel took over Texas Instruments. This has been giving issues for gaming and latency.

Its good to hear the SH5, has the broadcom chipset in it, so when VM start to roll that out more, gaming will be better.

Like i said i have been in modem mode since 2011, in two different properties, and I have NEVER had an issue with Gaming or Latency.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS GT-AX6000 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?

so went out got an expensive new gaming router still getting lag which is no good for gaming

marcdarlo_0-1652300477246.png

@marcdarlo for a DOCSIS connection that BQM really isn’t bad at all.

As you probably know, for gamers the most important thing is latency, not headline speed, now for cable connections the dominant source of latency is the upstream connection, and this is entirely outside of your control. You could buy the most expensive router known to man and it won’t help in the slightest.

Oh and there is not actually any such thing as a ‘gaming router’, well other than within the claims of the marketing department anyway!

joek66
On our wavelength

I'm afraid Adduxi and RedGooner have both given potentially misleading advice above.

Just to put things as simply as possible, you are not going to get any noticeable performance improvement from a third party router when comparing the two scenarios crudely illustrated below:

Superhub ----[ethernet]---- Your PC

Superhub ----[ethernet]---- Third party router ----[ethernet]---- Your PC

The stuff about two processors being better than one, etc. is completely meaningless when your Superhub is connecting via the same way regardless (i.e. direct to your PC or to a third party router first).

Where a third party router may offer an advantage is over Wi-Fi, *if* you are having Wi-Fi issues in your home. Obviously mesh routers are a common solution there, but you haven't indicated this is the issue, so don't go throwing good money after bad. Pressure VM for advice/answers, and don't just follow the advice of random 'experts' lurking here. 

Misleaing info, my A***

I have been with VM for a long time now, and used all the SH (execpted SH5), Modem mode is so much better.

The SH does NOT have the computing power to cope with gaming. Why do you think VM give away the SH for free.

It was designed for the BASIC user to surf and do very little else, as its EASY to setup.

Best way to game on VM is SH in modem mode, plus your own external router. Anything is better than SH in router mode.

--
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS GT-AX6000 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?

All I know is I now use a 3rd party router and still get lag issues  so it must be something wrong with my virgin media line not that anyone has contacted me from virgin on here. 

marcdarlo_0-1652462341208.png

Maybe the area your in suffers from over utililataion. Only VM can confirm this.

If you know anyone else from your street that has VM, ask them if they have the same issue.

--

Hello marcdarlo, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to see you are having issues with gaming. 

Thank you confirming a lot of stuff like its wired on a PC and its only happening after 6PM, is this every night after 6PM never before this time?

As some of out wonderful community members have jumped on this with some great advice including the bit about the 3rd party router.

have you tried playing the game in modem mode or have you recently rebooted the router since having this 3rd party router?

I have a had a look into your account and I can see no outages and the levels are looking fine. 

Has there been any improvement over the past few days? 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?