Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Unbearable lag despite 350mbps in NN5 area

Hi,

Despite trying to contact support for help on this i'm facing lag becoming increasingly worse over time while gaming.  I've noticed things have got worse throughout the day since many people are now working at home, but this was something that was getting progressively worse in the evenings before the lock down period a couple of months prior to this.  Having ping hover around 100ms and spiking to 300ms makes online gaming unbearable and need to know if there is a fix to this, or a new Internet provider is needed to resolve this?  The extra cost for 350mbps is not worth a poor quality connection that i'm currently receiving.

I'm living in the NN5 Area.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Unbearable lag despite 350mbps in NN5 area

Hi.
Send me a pm with postcode and account number and I will look into it for you.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I am also in the NN area, let me know what they say?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Join the gang VM have no clue how much bad press they are about to receive people dropped from live TV broadcasts last weekend they were competing or supposed to be in live events that were broadcast on live US TV, gamers are the bottom of the pile for VM most do not pay the bills and speed has no effect on them as they need little bandwidth but lots of quality.

The reason VM pushes speeds is because to say it was even an acceptable quality would be false advertising that trading standards would fine them harshly for.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

AngryToast - They are saying all looks fine but will send out a new hub.  I'm not getting my hopes up based on what others have been saying.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

That's the opposite of what was told to me? I was told there is an issue in the area. Some clarification would be great

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I also live in the NN5 area. It’s due to high network utilisation (over subscribed service in the area). It won’t be your router, i’ve spoke to the local area manager who has said that this is the problem. Basically aren’t going to solve it until lockdown is over. Hopefully the more of us that complain the quicker they’ll sort it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

so at least 3 more weeks of it, so it will be at least 6 weeks of unusable internet in total. marvellous.

If I only paid half my bill internet would be cut off but they can supply only half a product....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Yep. We’re getting a lack of service due to them just wanting to sell, sell and over sell. I’ve kept track of when I first raised the issue and will be getting compensation. I will contact them again tomorrow to see if they have an update and will post in here. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I too am in NN5 as an IT Pro since the 80's no retired due to ill health I can assure you your new router will be as useful as a chocolate teapot to fix your problem, see my post

Just how bad is Virgin Broadband why is 100mbs not capable of 120kbs? is it ROBBERY!!!!

they borrowed so much to lay cable they cannot repay it so are selling what capacity they have several times to pay just the interest on what they owe.

Last time I had to threaten VM with legal action was 20yrs ago when they were dipping peoples bank accounts twice for the same amount, and charging ex customers for add ons because they never cancelled them individually when they cancelled phone contract, but you cancel a phone contract you have the right to assume you will not have to pay for the unuseable extras for the rest of your life.

Those two were criminal offences commited by VM also in the NN5 area, they settled out of court I WONDER WHY, to me this fraud is equally as blatant & as serious as others I have seen from VM!