Menu
Suttonteacher
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Unable to connect PS4 directly to Hub, so connection too slow to play

Unable to connect PS4 directly to Virgin Hub using LAN cable, as we just get blue screen informing that the internet connection has failed.  The only way we have found to connect the PS4 to the internet, is to run a cable from the Hub to a router/mesh and then another cable into the back of the PS4. However, during the day this results in our M100 dropping to 54 Mbps, which is not enough for gaming. Any suggestions? We cannot use WIFI to connect, as the signal is poor and does not reach the back of the house (the Hub is upstairs and at the front). Do we need to pay the extra for M500 or is there another solution? (We have tried various routers/mesh systems to no avail.) An engineer has said that the signal into the house is good.

0 Kudos
d_an9641
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to connect PS4 directly to Hub, so connection too slow to play

Hi Suttonteacher

When you try to connect your PS4 to the hub, is your Virgin hub in modem mode or router mode?

Also i'm assuming you've changed the settings in your PS4 from WIFI to LAN as the PS4 rather annoyingly doesn't do this automatically?

The wifi on the virgin hub is unfortunately not really renowned for it's greatness and you likely would probably be better off using a third party router with the hub in modem mode for better wifi coverage.

0 Kudos
Suttonteacher
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. The Virgin Hub is as it was installed i.e. router mode. My son has never used his PS4 in WIFI mode, always LAN because Wi-fi too slow.

The baffling thing is that the PS4 will not recognise the internet connection, if a long cable is used between the Hub and the PS4, however, it will if we connect cable via NOVA mesh.

The coverage is so bad, that he can not play unless it's at night!

0 Kudos
d_an9641
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Does the port light at the back of the hub light up when the PS4 is connected?

Also, it might be worth just quickly running through the settings on the PS4 again if you haven't already.

Connect the PS4 to the Hub then on the PS4 go to:

Settings>network>set up internet connection>Use a LAN cable.

Then select Easy just to allow the necessary settings for IP address,DNS,DHCP Host name etc... to refresh and be automatically assigned

Has it worked before with the Hub and recently stopped working or has it just never worked?

0 Kudos
Suttonteacher
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your suggestions. I will get my son to check if the port light comes on. I know that he has altered the settings/reset many times but will pass all the suggestions on.

I do know that the PS4 has never worked directly through the Hub, only if use the NOVA Mesh box connected to the Hub.

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Also check that the PS4’s network card is set to DHCP and it hasn’t had a static address assigned which is in the right range for the Nova but not the VM hub.

0 Kudos
Suttonteacher
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Will pass on the information. Thank you.

0 Kudos