Menu
MatthewL_NI
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Twitch streaming

Hi I've been having a lot of issues with streaming to twitch, various speed tests tell me that my speeds are fine (8-12mpbs up) but using a program called twitchtest I can monitor my connection to twitch's ingest servers for streaming and its extremely inconsistent, within the same 5 mins i can go from 9000-10000+ to less than 2000, this is not on the end of twitch as a lot of others would be affected too so is there anything I can get virgin to do about this? I suggested a traceroute and possible direct routing to twitch to which they said "no such service is available". Help a guy out I just wanna stream.

0 Kudos
Static
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Twitch streaming

Is the device you are using to stream connected over wireless or a wired connection to the hub?
0 Kudos
squatman86
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Matthew, I'm experiencing this also. Did you ever get to the bottom of it? Thank you.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi squatman86, thanks for getting in touch.

Sorry to hear you've encountered similar issues with streaming. Can you let us know what problems you experience specifically, and if it happens solely when streaming via Twitch - or are other services/platforms impacted too? 

Have you been able to check for related known issues on our service status page: virg.in/service? If you sign in from there you can also run tests on your equipment which may offer a solution.

If there's nothing communicated that could be causing the problem don't hesitate to let us know so we can take a further look.

Alternatively you can text our cable-care team on 07533051809 (Mon - Sat 8am - 8pm) or give us a call on 150/ 0345 454 1111.

Tom

0 Kudos
squatman86
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tom, thanks for your response.

I'm not able to test YouTube/Facebook live streaming, it's just the bandwidth test to Twitch servers that is the problem, yet my actually download/upload speed seem to find (according to speedtest).

I have checked for service issues in my area and also conducted the additional test on my equipment/connection by logging in, all come back fine.

I did get in touch with Virgin live chat. After a 2 hour wait I was told there are works going on in my area that could take 7 days. 7 days?? My connection is actually fine it's just this bandwidth to twitch that is having problems. So I'm not sure what works are going on that affect Twitch but not my connection, and for 7 days? So I'm now waiting for 25th to see if the issue is rectified, although that's a bit of a wait and disappointing when I can't stream.

I even tried from our awful BT connection at work and it brings back 10,000+ kbps and 100 quality on the test, and that connection is rubbish!

So yea, It's annoying and disappointing at the minute. Would be nice for someone with technical knowledge to tell me what's going on.

Thanks again Tom, I'm trying an image again:

10pm BST.PNG

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi squatman86,

Thank you for that information. 

Can I please start by asking you to provide me with some trace routes via this site: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/tools/traceroute

^Martin

0 Kudos
squatman86
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Martin,

Thanks for the response.

Please see image below of traceroute.

1st.png2nd.png

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for that squatman86.

I just want to get some more information concerning the specific issues. 

Are you streaming a game or other content? If a game what game or games?

Are you seeing the fault from your side or are your viewers seeing the issue?

^Martin

0 Kudos
squatman86
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Martin,

Thanks again for replying.

I am streaming games, but it is just captured through a USB video capture device.

I see the problem both ends.

I use software called OBS and I have a kbps/quality monitor that just instantly drops from 5/6000 that it should be to 300 ish fluctuates and is shown in red for bad quality. I stream successfully for a long time and only a few days ago, nothing has changed my end but it's suddenly gone like this.

The user end just see a really juttery video stream, as the FPS is awful.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for that. Can you also confirm if you are a twitch partner affiliate?

^Martin

0 Kudos