Menu
THPParidian
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Twitch Live Streaming - Dropped Packets / latency

Hello everyone, 

SOMEONE must be able to help me....................please.......I'm actually begging now. Since June I have been live streaming semi-successfully via Twitch on top of my full time job. In these difficult times, it's helped bring in a bit of money on top of my usual full-time job salary. Being the only source of income in the household due to my partner being a full-time carer for our son who has CP, it is really much needed.

However, come November, the problems started - poor internet service and Intermittent dropped packets meant my streams were becoming unwatchable due to the dropped frames and buffer. I've had maybe 6 or 7 stable streams since then and I'm losing money because of it. I have tried everything, literally everything to fix the problem:

What package are you on? We've been on the M100 package which wasn't a problem. The service was great, I streamed successfully for months. November is when the problems started and have persisted. After about the 500th time of ringing VM I managed to get a loss of service credit to my account and with the last throw of the dice upgraded to the M500 package. I got ONE stable stream on Thursday (21st). It was great, not a single dropped frame. One day it lasted........ streamed on the 23rd. The dropped packets persisted. So the boost in upload didnt help. 

Have you checked your hardware? Yes! Repeatedly. In fact, I recently upgraded my Wi-Fi adapter to the TP-LINK - Archer TX3000E PCIe Wireless WiFi 6 and purchased the TP-Link Archer AX50 Dual-Band Gigabit Wi-Fi 6 AX3000 Router to compliment it. Yes, I have tried hardwired also - The problem persists.  I have tried the HUB3 in and out of modem mode, wireless and hardwired. no matter what variation I put the network in, the dropped packets persisted. 

Have you checked the software? Yes! Repeatedly. I have done a fresh install of the streaming software I use (OBS). Ensured the settings we're correct. No matter what settings I used - the dropped packets persisted. I currently have bandwidth test stream going to test the dropped packets in off-peak real-time......and well at the time of writing: Dropped Frames (Network) 31893 / 121822 (26.2%). This will only get worse the longer I leave it running. 

Have you had an engineer out? Yes! An engineer visited our house on the 7th of January. He informed us that the wrong connectors have been installed. However, this doesn't explain why the service would suddenly be so poor after it been absolutely fine. Regardless, the problem persists. 

What are your HUB3 stats? I will provide the stats in the next message of this thread. Although the last time I provided this I was informed that I should have FOUR upstream channels when in fact I only have two. I was told it would take an engineer to put this right. When I informed the engineer of this he said two upstream channels should be fine. So which is it? After scouring the many threads on this forum I have only seen people with four upstream channels??

What's your current speed? The current speed at 16:40 is Download - 365Mbps, Upload - 25.48Mbps ------ I mean on a M500 package that's not what I should be getting but whatever.

Have I set up a BQM? Yes. However, if I understand it correctly the BQM isn't telling the full story - I'm seeing no dropped packets. But, I can see the drop in kb/s in real time during my bandwidth streaming tests, which have been running on and off all day - it's relentless. BQM - 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/0c6852701b85e8a389ec2465e244ed5acf781eaf

Over-utilisation?  Hmmmm not in my area (Area 22, LS26). Virgin has only been in the area just over a year. And as far I'm aware the M500 package isn't constrained by the traffic management policy which throttles uploads on the other packages during peak hours. 

Someone somewhere must know what the issue is. I really don't want to switch but at the moment it's the only option I can see happening. 

Thank you for taking the time to read this and any help anyone can provide 

THPParidian
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Twitch Live Streaming - Dropped Packets / latency

Cable Modem StatusItem Status Comments

Acquired Downstream Channel (Hz)
Ranged Upstream Channel (Hz)
Provisioning State

Upstream bonded channels

Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) Symbol Rate (ksps) Modulation Channel ID

13939996934.5512064 qam12
24620000034.5512032 qam11

Upstream bonded channels

Channel Channel Type T1 Timeouts T2 Timeouts T3 Timeouts T4 Timeouts

1ATDMA0000
2ATDMA0010

General Configuration

Network access
Allowed
Maximum Number of CPEs
Baseline Privacy
Enabled
DOCSIS Mode
Docsis30
Config file
g87dsfd;kfoA,.iyewrkldJKDHSUB

Primary Downstream Service Flow

SFID28160
Max Traffic Rate575000000
Max Traffic Burst42600
Min Traffic Rate0

Primary Upstream Service Flow

SFID28159
Max Traffic Rate38520000
Max Traffic Burst42600
Min Traffic Rate0
Max Concatenated Burst16320
Scheduling TypeBestEffort

Network Log

Time Priority Description

24/01/2021 16:05:37criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
24/01/2021 14:21:3noticeLAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
24/01/2021 07:09:32criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
23/01/2021 16:39:47noticeDHCP Renew - lease parameters tftp file-cmreg-vmdg505-bbt053+voc-b.cm modified;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
23/01/2021 16:39:47ErrorDHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
20/01/2021 22:59:11criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
20/01/2021 19:50:25noticeLAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
20/01/2021 19:47:11Warning!LAN login FAILED : Incorrect Username / Password / ConnectionType;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
20/01/2021 14:35:58noticeLAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
19/01/2021 21:00:24criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
19/01/2021 19:19:55noticeLAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
19/01/2021 09:09:53noticeDHCP Renew - lease parameters tftp file-cmreg-vmdg505-bbt057+voc-b.cm modified;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
19/01/2021 09:09:53ErrorDHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
16/01/2021 15:21:6criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
15/01/2021 21:09:53noticeDHCP Renew - lease parameters tftp file-cmreg-vmdg505-bbt057+voc-b.cm modified;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
15/01/2021 21:09:53ErrorDHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
12/01/2021 19:25:30criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
12/01/2021 15:43:46noticeLAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
12/01/2021 09:09:53noticeDHCP Renew - lease parameters tftp file-cmreg-vmdg505-bbt057+voc-b.cm modified;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
12/01/2021 09:09:53ErrorDHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Wow.  The most clear, comprehensive offer of useful info to get a problem resolved I've seen in a lllooonnnnggg time.  I can't be 100% on this, but it looks to me like you've got an upstream noise issue, as there's only two channels (should be four) and the modulation is erratic (should 4x64 QAM).  I've flagged that for the forum staff to advise, although this time of evening, it could be tomorrow before they respond.  They're a very helpful bunch, if a technician is needed they can arrange that. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

THPParidian
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andruser, 

Thanks for taking the time to reply and the compliment. Honestly, I'd just like it fixing, I know it's trivial but it's caused tears due to loss of income.

Yes, I was told the last time I provided the status of the Hub3 that I should have four upstream channels instead of two and it would take an engineer. However, when the engineer arrived and I informed him about this - he said two upstream channels were fine, so it sounds like I've been sold down the river there.

Thank you for flagging, I don't mind another engineer coming or whatever but I'm giving it until the end of the cancellation period of the upgrade for the problem to be fixed, otherwise, it will have to be a switch for me. 

0 Kudos
THPParidian
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Also, I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but when Virgin was laid in our street. The wire that goes from the path to our house wasn't buried. I had to lay wood chippings on the line for it not be exposed to the elements. Is this a problem?

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Of itself a surface laid cable isn't a problem - my cable's been exposed to the elements as a ten metre south facing wall mounted run for over twenty years without issue.  But if it is ground laid it is more exposed to physical damage.  But cabling is VM's problem, let's see what the forum staff advise.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
THPParidian
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Todays BQM - 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/0c6852701b85e8a389ec2465e244ed5acf781eaf
0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Think that my request for staff input has fallen through the cracks (does happen from time to time) so I've gently prodded to see if someone can take a look and comment.

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Good morning @THPParidian 

Thank you for taking the time to post 

I am really sorry to hear that you have had some issues with your broadband.

I have just taken a look over the account, I can see that you do only have 2 upstream channels and there there is potentially some SNR on this.  I have taken the opportunity to book the next available engineer appointment, you can find the time and date of this via your online account.    

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos
THPParidian
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Zak_M & @Andruser

A member of staff contacted me through the forum email. She didn't post in the thread so I can understand why you think it went unnoticed. In light of this, I cancelled the engineer you booked @Zak_M, but thank you none the less

An engineer visited our house on the 27th. Checked everything and provided the new HUB4 - He informed me (as did the engineer that visited on the 3rd) that the 2 channels are due to the area I'm in. He also advised (well I didn't quite get the gist tbh) that something about a wider network thing that the engineers has no control over, so I still have 2 upstream channels. Is it or isn't it normal? 

I do have to say though, since the 27th visit. The service has been fine - no drops and packet loss has been minimal. Managed to give out some successful streams this week. It's been the most stable it's been for three months. Long may it continue. 

0 Kudos