Menu
justintuluk
Just joined
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Trouble with Nintendo Switch online play

I can't get my head around this one.

We've got a household of Animal Crossing enthusiasts and 2 Nintendo Switch consoles.

We're using WiFi with the Super Hub 2. No problems connecting to the internet on the consoles, but when it comes to visiting other islands (multiplayer online play) we get a connection error "can't connect to other console".

I've managed to do a bit of a workaround by setting a static IP on the Switch and port forwarding UDP range 1-65535. This does work, but only for one console at a time, as I can't duplicate a port forwarding range for a different static IP for the second console.

Any ideas? I put this question in the networking rather than gaming board, as it seems firmly like a network related issue and not due to gameplay itself.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Trouble with Nintendo Switch online play

@justintuluk wrote:

I can't get my head around this one.

We've got a household of Animal Crossing enthusiasts and 2 Nintendo Switch consoles.

We're using WiFi with the Super Hub 2. No problems connecting to the internet on the consoles, but when it comes to visiting other islands (multiplayer online play) we get a connection error "can't connect to other console".

I've managed to do a bit of a workaround by setting a static IP on the Switch and port forwarding UDP range 1-65535. This does work, but only for one console at a time, as I can't duplicate a port forwarding range for a different static IP for the second console.

Any ideas? I put this question in the networking rather than gaming board, as it seems firmly like a network related issue and not due to gameplay itself.

Thanks in advance.

do you have upnp enabled on teh SH2? 

0 Kudos
justintuluk
Just joined
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yes I have UPNP enabled

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

if upnp isn't working then i'm out of suggestions for the hub I'm afraid..

i only have one switch in the house, so can't replicate what you're experiencing, but i did have to configure the NAT for the switch to include "static port mapping" on its outbound connections - put simply, this means that if the switch makes an outbound request on UDP port 35606, then my router will send that out to the internet with a source port of 35606, rather than randomising it - which is what it would "usually" do. It appears that this is a common requirement for switch networking (at least seems to be based on what reading i did at the time i set it up ages ago)

i also don't know how robust the implementation of UPnP is on the hub - never used it myself - you may find a different router magically makes both switches work, but as the hub itself isn't particularly configurable, I'm not sure what other options you have 😕

0 Kudos
mjpartyboy
Superfast
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Being as port forwarding has fixed it for one Switch, then it sounds like a NAT issue. A device's NAT status will affect what other devices it can connect to and the other device's NAT status will also play a part in this. You have no control over devices not on your network, so ideally you want your devices to have an Open NAT, which is what port forwarding is likely achieving for your single Switch.

As you've found though, port forwarding doesn't support multiple devices simultaneously, so the only other option is UPnP, but how well this works with handling Open NAT for multiple devices depends on the router.

0 Kudos