Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

To everyone experiencing high ping/packet loss:

I started this journey last week and I see the number of posts have increased dramatically.

Virgin support staff don't seem to want to admit it's ober subscription/utilisation on the network, but the engineers and field technicians, who genuinely know what's going on will tell you exactly that.

If your issue started when everyone satrted working from home, that's likely it. Obviously some may have bad timing or have had issues before this. These could be made worse by what's going on.

Thus far:

-I have had a technician visit my house. Confirm area is at 98% utlilisation at circa 4pm on a Monday. (It was moving between 95 -198% in front of me on his phone) He advised they were repairing a "fault in my area" (BR2) on the 31st, tomorrow now.

-Bought a new router  (Asus AC86U- FANTASTIC router - but still no luck on latency)

-Got contacted by Luke28 (he's here on the forums) from VM who established the over utilisation has been recognised as a fault and had asked for my details to get me a "case number" or the like.

At this point, I would say your best bet is to hope the fault gets picked up and can be repaired in the short term (they recognise over utilisation as a fault) or to see if you can get one of the field techs to take your details and log tyhe fault.

It's not your gear. It's not your hub. (Most likely unless you're unlucky). 

Single player games it is?

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: To everyone experiencing high ping/packet loss:

I am in Northampton and have been getting this over the last week, assumed that this was the case as speeds are still find but ping is off the charts except for really really late at night, i guess we just have to sit tight and wait for some sort of fix

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Yeah if you're really curious there's a lot of info in my last thread.

BQMs etc.

Exactly that. Speeds are great but latency and packet loss are a joke.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

"It was moving between 95 -198% in front of me on his phone"

Impossible It can't be over 100%. If the network is under its max load it will be at 100% there is no way for them to know how much traffic is being dropped after that 100% point.

That is a simple networking

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Lol, i'm in BR3 and been suffering "over utilisation" for the past 3 years now - no joke.

I suffer with delay consistently when gaming online, nothing works. Imo, it's to do with the latency bug issue which is what makes the delay so spontaneous and random. There is literally nothing you can do. Sometimes smooth, sometimes horrific.More often horrific and unplayable.

Before the usual stupid questions, yes i'm wired. I'm tech savy but the only thing that blows my mind is how we are having these issues in 2020. We pay top dollar but they don't spend top dollar on our service, that's the way I see it.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

3 years. so you have stayed outside your contract? So why have you not changed to something better?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax

That is obviously a typo. 

I'm trying to be helpful and you're here nitpicking over what quite clearly is a typo given the context of the entire message.

As an "insightful person" you'd expect a little better. 

I'm sure anyone reading this would garner as much, but if they didn't. Please be aware.

Before the genius has a meltdown.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

No i wouldn't assume anything VM support say to be a type. I've seen so many lies told to get away from a customer or lies to close a call/job

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@patch22

I have had the line for over a year and have never had lag at all. Not once.

If you take the time to read through this forum, there are multiple people in our neighbourhood, whose issues all began at the same time. The moment everyone started working from home.

I have two mates close by who are both experiencing intermittent lag issues. (BR3, i'm BR2 as mentioned) which alos began precisley the moment everyone started working from home.

Logic would dictate your answer here.

As I mentioned - my post excludes anyone having issues before this began - as apcyberax pointed out. If you've had issues for 3 years without result, switch? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

um.... it was my typo.

The guy was standing in front of me showing me his phone - with the numbers varying from 95-98%.

I have just received a message from a tech - one sec will paste here

0 Kudos