Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Terrible latency and ping

Hi all,

I have just moved over from Sky to VM yesterday. I understand that Cable won't be quite as good as DSL for latency and ping but I'm not sure it should be this bad? I have run a Broadband monitor which can be seen here -

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/54d31eda51f1616f995f9e2dc0caf56b564b6af4-03-03-2020

The packet loss is where I put it into modem mode but realised my PC is run through a switch so couldn't directly connect it atm.

In CSGO I am averaging about 50 ping with spikes up to 150+ , I was averaging about 15 with Sky. I rang VM today and their automated line said that it had detected issues and I need to speak to and adviser, when I explained the issue she just said to try resetting the router and they will send some "things" to the router from their end and to call back in 24 hours if it hasn't changed.  

Does this look normal to anyone on here and does it look "fixable"? what is an average latency with VM? Cause to be honest I am still within the 14 day cooling off period and it's not worth the extra latency for increased speed so I might as well cancel.

Thanks for reading.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Terrible latency and ping

Typical average latency values for VM are 18-22 ms, and that's consistent with the average shown in your BQM.  The spiking on your connection is LESS normal, but certainly not unheard of.  If you persist with VM it may be possible to improve your BQM, but the low level continuous yellow "fringe" is unavoidable because of the nature of VM's now rather dated cable technology.

Here's a representative chart for my BQM.  Some days are better, some days are worse and the red patch is where the hub is turned off overnight:

My Broadband Ping - VM number 2

Now compare that to a relative's BQM that I monitor, for a 35 Mbps Openreach line at a village in the middle of nowhere (same date as my plot above).  On this one, the packet loss is an artefact of the overly-sensitive Zen hub, that ignores ICMP ping requests rather often, but you can see that's not "real" data loss from the latency profile:

My Broadband Ping - Bretforton

Should you leave or stay?  I can't say, but be aware that VM customer service is truly diabolical, and recently they've even managed to make it worse, judging by official complaint numbers.

0 Kudos