Menu
Dnamixup
Tuning in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Terrible Latency/Lag

Hello,

I've seen a lot of posts about similar issue since looking into it and skeptical about it ever being resolved.

I have already had 2 dates that the issue will be fixed and both pushed back, apparently it will be resolved by the 9th April...

Is it possible anyone can look into this as I feel I'm paying for a service I can use, I assume I wont be able to cancel contract without penalty?

Here is my monitor for viewing, I have also done every step listed on the Virgin site.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/b8ff25c036394a99eb6602a2e6f8178b51... 

Thanks

0 Kudos
hortonj88
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Terrible Latency/Lag

May be possible to get out of contract early if you're getting below the "minimum speed" of your package consistently.

Minimum speed is 50% of your advertised package speed.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/virgin-media-speed-policy

"If we do not provide the Minimum Guaranteed Download Speed as set out above (i.e. we have not remedied the speed problem within 30 days of your notifying us or we cannot address the problem) then we will offer you the opportunity to end your agreement immediately, without the payment of an Early Disconnection Fee."

Previously M200 (Left due to utilisation)

Now: BT FTTP 900/110 connected an ASUS RT-AC86U router.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/12098955842.png
0 Kudos
Dnamixup
Tuning in
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the reply.

It's more of a latency issue then a speed issue so I think the same doesn't apply sadly but I will have a read up.

Just want to know if it will ever be resolved or are these "fix dates" just to give me hope that something is being done.

0 Kudos
conman33158
Super solver
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Your BQM clearly shows massive over utilisation mate. It's a never ending story with VM at the minute as the network is dealing with a load like never before with people working from home, home schooling, Netflix, Amazon Prime and Gaming threw into the mix. I think Virgin are hoping after lockdown it will settle down but until then you’re stuck. You can ring Virgin about this with maybe a fix date for the future but to be honest they have a tendency to apply fix dates only to keep moving them forward and then ending up with nothing being done for months at a time or simply hoping people leave freeing up the network or again hoping that things improve after lockdown which in some cases it should.

***********************************************************************************************************************************
BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
0 Kudos
Dnamixup
Tuning in
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Sadly, I do feel that over utilization is the case. I have already had 2 dates push back and next fix date is 9th April, so I will be calling them on the 9th to see what's going on.

Is it realistic that the network usage will drop that much when things start going back to normal. I wonder if the engineers booked in my area are actually doing anything at all, very frustrating.

0 Kudos
hortonj88
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

These "fix dates" are never confirmed fix dates.

Speaking as a previous customer here, I had 3+ estimated fix dates given to me before I got p'd off and gave my notice.

Previously M200 (Left due to utilisation)

Now: BT FTTP 900/110 connected an ASUS RT-AC86U router.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/12098955842.png
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

BQM is almost certainly over-utilisation, and as @conman33158 has said, little chance it will be addressed.  Because it's so bad in the evening, seems probable that downstream over-utilisation is a feature, that may not improve much when lockdown ends.

Your options if this is the case:

1) Sit it out, and hope that VM do eventually carry out improvement works. There's little or nothing you can do to force VM to upgrade the network, nor to be honest about the outlook.

2) Get yourself a new ISP. Think before you start down this route.  If you're in a fixed term contract you'll probably have to use the VM complaints process (and possibly escalate for arbitration at CISAS) to be released from contract without penalty. If you need to do this, the grounds of your complaint is the poor performance, and your request fro release from contract without penalty is twofold: First the Consumer Rights Act 2015 that requires any consumer service to be provided with "reasonable skill and care", and second, the Ofcom Fairness Commitments, that VM have committed to, and state "Customers’ services work as promised, reliably over time. If things go wrong providers give a prompt response to fix problems and take appropriate action to help their customers, which may include providing compensation where relevant. If providers can’t fix problems with core services they have promised to deliver within a reasonable period, customers can walk away from their contract with no penalty."   Note that the fairness commitment refers to "problems" not "speed", so your complaint doesn't rely on VM's risible minimum speed promises.  If you raise a complaint, make sure it asks VM to issue a deadlock letter if they won't agree to release you without penalty, as that means you can immediately escalate to CISAS - without one you have to wait eight weeks..

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Dnamixup
Tuning in
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the reply. I think I'll go down this route after the 9th of April as that's my next "fix date"

Yes I'm locked in until June next year and can't bare waiting that long and as you and others have said it probably won't be fixed. 

Thanks for the informative reply 👍

I would like to hear from someone from virgin on the forums but we'll have to wait and see! 

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

The best the forum staff can do is tell you what the latest "fix date" is.  They don't have access to those systems that would confirm whether there's any work actually planned, they can't release customers from contract, and company policy prevents them from any "plain speaking" on the matter.  I'm sure that they're not happy being put in a situation of having to watch as customers' report problems that aren't going to be solved, having totally inadequate information on the nature of the fault and the outlook, whilst being expected by VM to parrot fix dates that all too often will not be met.

VM can and do sometimes resolve capacity issues by investment - just not very often, so waiting in the hope of a fix is only sensible for those whose alternatives are even worse.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Dnamixup

Welcome to the community and thanks for your first post, we're happy to have you with us. 🙂 

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing latency issues with your service, I can appreciate how frustrating this must be and we apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

I'm glad to see the community were able to provide some advice on this for you. I've managed to locate your account and I can see the utilisation issue that's currently affecting service.  The estimated fix time for this is still the 09/04/21 at 15:30, I can assure you the team will be working hard to get this resolved as quickly as possible. 

If you find the issue persists once the area issue is resolved, please pop another post on this thread and we'll happily look into this for you to get it sorted. 

Thanks,

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos